GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Tue, 28 Mar 2006 12:17:43 EST

Well, the Observer is hard at work  serving Master Jammeh. You will not
believe this!

Written by Ebrima Jaw Manneh
Tuesday, 28 March 2006
Last night a number of the coup plotters related how the  aborted infamous
March 21 coup plot was hatched, how they got involved,  the intrigues as well as
their motivation.
Tamsir Jasseh
Former director of the  Gambia Immigration Department, said his knowledge
about the coup was  limited, adding that he was “able to get this information at
the very last  minute. Personally when I looked at the situation, it looked
more to me  like a plan that was never executed. I was informed about the whole
thing  by Col Ndure Cham, whom I knew through the service. He had more like a
desire than a plan. He wanted to change the government. The change of
government that he wanted was more like just change the leadership.”
He added: “He said to me that he wanted to leave  everything as it is. The
political parties, the people in the opposition  and that even the APRC will be
allowed to continue as a party. And that  the constitution will not be
suspended. And that there will be no  commission of inquiry and that life will just
go on.”
Mr Jasseh continued: “He (Col Ndure Cham) told me that  the whole military
was behind him. Then I said if the whole military was  behind you, then Tamsir
Jasseh cannot stop you. He later mentioned about  how he can go about stopping
communication during the act. And one of the  major things he mentioned to me
that I have put some significance was when  he said to me, if we should do it,
we have to cut off the communication.  And I said to him no, no! If you do
that you are destroying the country. I  told him you just have to switch them
off, instead of cutting the fibres  of the cable, because I know the cables are
very expensive and it will  take a long time before you can restore the
telecommunication services.  And then he went about his way.”
According to Mr Jasseh, it was on the very day of their  plan that Col Ndure
Cham informed him that “we are going to do it. And  three hours later he
called me and said we are abandoning this thing and  that we are not going to get
started, because Lang Tombong Tamba has sent  the message to Mauritania. So I
told him well that is the best thing you  can do. You have not even started it.
No one is hurt, nothing is  destroyed. So maybe that is less of a problem
than if you have tried to  force your way through. So what are you going to do
now? And then he said  I don’t know. So he went away”.
He then recalled that while he was in his house with his  wife and children,
Col Ndure Cham said that “someone has informed him that  he was to be arrested
and that he was on the run.”
He said: “At that point, I begin to realise the  seriousness of the
situation. Then I discussed it with my wife. I said  this is what has been happening.
This guy has told me this. And my wife  was very concern and she said I think
you better go and speak with the  American ambassador as US citizen. When I
told him (US ambassador) about  this he said go home and if the authorities
question you, cooperate with  them. Tell them what you know. And I was picked up
and brought here and I  have told them what I know.”
The Ex-Police Adviser Jasseh then expressed his regret  and sorrow and
further remembered: “It was between 5:30  and 6:00  evening, when I transported him
to Kujubeh, which later on, I found out  was actually in Senegal. And I came
back. I did it because this is the way  out for both of us. When we got there I
said no! I am coming to face the  consequences and I came back.”
External Support
Tamsir Jasseh  recalled that it was about two months ago, when Col Ndure Cham
talked to  him about the border problem between The Gambia and Senegal. “It
got to a  point that it affecting both countries economically and so many other
 ways. And I remember distinctly telling him that the cost of cooking gas
has gone up in both countries so much so that business people and  restaurants
do not even make profit on cooking gas,” he added, and then  pointed out: “He
said to me I want to send a message to the Senegalese  High Commission that
the securities services between The Gambia and  Senegal should continue working
smoothly together and let the politicians  sort out their political issues.
Because at these borders it is the  security personnel that stand there. If the
security personnel facilitate  movement, there will be smooth cooperation. And
he wanted me to go to the  Senegalese Ambassador to formally discuss with
him. I asked him how he  could do that? He said I am not too sure whether that is
in line with  Gambia government policy but I just want them to know. It took
me a while  before I was finally able to go there.”
“I went in. I gave my name and all my information. It was  about three, four
days later when they called me and said you have  requested meeting with the
ambassador. You can come. And I went in. I  greeted the ambassador and before I
started he said wait let me call a  witness. I told him that Ndure Cham has
asked me to come to you personally  and explain to you what is happening at the
border. That the security  services of both countries should work together
smoothly. And then the  ambassador himself at first expressed surprise why I
must be the one to  convey such a message...And for now this is what he has asked
me to do.  And that I would like you to understand that he is seeking a
cooperation  between the two securities and the politicians can take care of their
problems and that the situation in The Gambia has  become dangerous  in his
point of view. This is what he was concerned about. And the  ambassador
listened at me surprisingly. Then he elaborated on the need for  closer relation as
you would talk to a Senegalese, for closer  collaboration. Just on that general
term. And then he said ok, I will  contact you,” he explained.
Mr Jasseh noted that it was after about five days later  that he received a
call from someone in “Senegal, who identified himself  as Pap Seck and said my
superior gave me your name and number. So I just  call to say that I will call
you back. Then I told Ndure Cham, instead of  the ambassador calling me, it
was somebody calling me from Senegal. So I  gave Ndure Cham that information
and he said Pap Seck might be in the  Military Intelligence. Mr Cham gave me the
information that Pap Seck would  give him money. He requested the money. But
I asked him why did he needed  the money from anybody? And he said no member
of the military will  be in the government. It will be a purely civilian
government and that if  these senior officers are paid money, it will be like some
kind of  compensation not to request for positions, because the government was
just  suppose to continue as it is.  He said if he has a million dollars.
But to me, that was just daydreaming. Who gonna give him a million  dollars?”
The Ex-Deputy IGP Jasseh confirmed that he has always  expressed that his
interest was business throughout their planning. He  added: “But he (col Ndure
Cham said to me, you are good in law enforcement  and the IGP Sonko is a very
good soldier, who I will really like to  promote and transfer back into the
army, because most of the senior people  in the army are gone.”
Alieu Jobe
On his account, a 36- year  old Alieu Jobe, who was the acting director of
Treasury confirmed that Col  Ndure was like a “grandfather” to him, who repose ”
very high trust” in  him.
He recalled that Col Cham had told him, when he was the  commander of the
National Guard that “he is contemplating overthrowing the  government. I told him
that this is not a good idea.  I kept  discouraging him until when he was
appointed Chief of Defence Staff when I  was not in town. I gave him a
congratulatory call and I told him to work  hard.”
On his return, Mr Jobe said he was surprised by Col  Cham’s solidity to
pushing for the same “thing. I still continued  discouraging him.  I told him that
if he was not happy and he is now  promoted, that should be the end of things.
But he always told me I will  go ahead and I always insisted, don’t do it. He
has been threatening me at  that level in the event he heard this thing; he
will make sure that my  head is blown up, because he is the head of the armed
forces.”
He then added: “Anytime I visited him, I normally go into  the house, sit and
chat with the wife and he will tell me this is Tamsir  or whatever. He said
Tamsir was dealing with the key intelligence officer  in Senegal. He said
Senegal was about to give them somebody in their  Intelligence to give them money,
but he said he did not have the money. I  told him that this was an indication
that he could not do it. He said they  were about to bring weapons into the
country. That was just one discussion  he mentioned all that, money, weapons,
whatever but he said he believes  the weapons cannot come here. So in any case,
one thing I know was that it  was Tamsir who was between him and this man.
What he told me was that  Senegal would deploy troops in either Cassamance or
somewhere around the  Kaolack area and those people would give him support in an
event he is  about to fail. He also said that Mbye would take care of the 2
Infantry  Batallion and those in Cassamance would take care of Kanilai. Whether
it  is true or it is not true, these are his words.
And in most cases I  keep telling him, you should forget about this thing.”
Recalling that Col Cham had asked him to inform Captain  Famara Jammeh to be
part his complot, Mr Jobe said he had never heeded his  request. “I did not
subscribed to it and I do not want a close friend of  mine to subscribe to it. I’
ve never informed him. We continued like that  until on Monday at night, when
he told me that he is not going to wait  anymore. He said he is going ahead
with his plan. I was very confused. And  the next day early in the morning I
called Capt Famara Jammeh and I  informed him that I am not very comfortable. It
seems something is about  to happen and let him watch out. From there I think
Capt Jammeh left for  his office.”
“Around 5:00, he phoned me indicating that he is  confused. I asked him what
the confusion is. He said an NCO in Yundum  called him to inform him that
there is a planned coup. And I told him that  I think this was the message I
wanted to put across to you. But because of  the threat on me, I could not go
ahead. I am not very sure. What Col Cham  told me was that I watch out who to talk
to, because whoever you talk to  could be part of it. And since it is a
military thing and I am a civilian,  I thought the best thing is just to avoid. And
not to even talk, because  when you talk, it will be used as an exhibit
against you. And when you  talk, you do not know whether the guy you are talking is
even part of it.  These were all worries in my brain,” he acknowledged.
According to him, under the circumstance, Capt Jammeh  called around 5:00,
saying he is confused. “I told him, I am also confused  but I said this was the
message I was trying to put across at least for  you people to be alert. What
he told me was what do I do now? He said he  had called the commander and I
said talk to any commander you have to talk  to. And he said the CDS told him
that I should have informed him. I told  him I am not part of it and if I am not
part of it I do not want you to be  part of it. Therefore, I do not think I
should inform you.”
According to him, the CDS “called me to inform me that he  is leaving and he
wants me to take care of his family in his absence. He  was the very one who
told me that the President is aware and that they  have dispatched soldiers to
arrest most of the officers. I arranged for  him to come to Farato. I assigned
my uncle to send him money, I think it  was about D6,000 to Tanji to take a
taxi. And the taxi brought him to  Brikama and then he came to Farato.”
He slammed “bad associates” as he regrets, and then  warned: “To have a bad
associate, who you think is somebody who is part  and parcel of you is the
worse thing that can happen to a human being. And  one has to be very careful
about whom you are associated with.”
Alieu Jobe apologised for his inability to leak the coup  plot and then said:
“If Gambian people think that I should have leaked it  under the
circumstances and the truama I was going through, well I am very  sorry to everybody. And
prayed to God that this current undesirable  situation ends as quickly as
possible. And I wish that there is peace,  tranquillity and order in the country.”
Bunja Darboe
Capt Bunja Darboe,  military assistant to the Ex-Chief of Defence Staff Col
Ndure Cham,  confirmed: “I have worked with him (Col Cham) directly. I have
access to  his office than any other officer.  I hold the key to his office, I
write for him and hold appointments for him, as well as briefings and his
official engagements. That was my task.