GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Joe Sambou <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Nov 2001 23:23:05 +0000
Fatou, thanks for you clarification.  All things equal, your comparison
between Jammeh's statement and the State Department's is valid and
reasonable.  However, when you take Jammeh's statement and backtrack to the
six feet deep threats, the student massacre, the summary killings with no
explanations to date, the arrests and kidnappings with no trace of the
victims for weeks and sometimes months, you cannot help but wonder what he
might or might not do when he is uncomfortable for whatever reason.  Had
Gambians not experienced killings with Jammeh, I don't think any would loose
sleep with his utterances.  He may not kill 20,000 in his staged coup
attempts, but two here, five there, adds up over time.  Is it normal for any
responsible leader to talk in terms of killing 20,000 if he had to do it?
As both of know, there is no security threat in The Gambia, but Jammeh and
Secret Service thugs.  In the example you gave of the State Department, we
all can link the cause and effect.  However, in the case of Yaya, Gambians
only see the effect with no reasonable explanations for the cause.  I hope
you do not take it that I'm jumping all over you.  My comments are made in
the spirit of a healthy dialogue.  Let me know your thoughts.

Chi Jaama

Joe Sambou