GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Dampha Kebba <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Feb 2001 10:18:36 -0500
Ous, I respect your intervention, but I also have to (with all due respect)
beg to differ from your arguments and conclusions. First of all, I will
state that I owe Joseph Joof no retraction. You did not make a case for your
belief. All that I have said on my posting is the truth. I challenge you or
anyone to point out one single untruth I spoke and I will loudly apologize
to you and Joseph Joof.

All I hear you complain about was that I did not talk about some of Joof's
good qualities. You will never hear from me (unqualified) praises of these
vermin. I have said before in this forum that I will loudly criticize every
wrong move Yaya and his cohorts make, and ignore any right move they might
make. This is a deliberate move on my part. Yaya and his cohorts have enough
praise-singers to talk about their achievements. My contempt for these
people is unequivocal. I hate them as much as they hate the Gambian people.
Political correctness is not my forte.

I am not one that treats his enemies like friends. I have nothing against
people that want to be 'fair' to Yaya and his gang. If you come here and say
good things about Joseph Joof or Yaya for that matter, I will not criticize
you if what you said is the truth and is consistent with the point you are
making. In the same vein, if you want my retraction, point to me a lie that
I told.

You alluded to my statements about some of Joseph Joof's achievements. Read
my posting properly and please do not put words in my mouth. Granted, there
is some innuendo there that can lead to several conclusions. Make your own
conclusions, but do not ascribe those to me. Brother, as I keep saying, this
is war, and I take it very seriously. I have no mercy for people that want
to mortgage their souls to the Devil. Sending to G_L inflammatory language
that could be interpreted to the detriment of Yaya and his cohorts, is the
least worrying thing I will do to these vermin.

What did I say about his Mercedes and the way he acquired it? That he pushed
the envelop to get it? What exactly do you think I meant by that? Ous, there
is not one single word I send to G_L without thinking it through thoroughly.
I agree that some of Joof's past activities are irrelevant to the topic at
hand. In fact, I said so in my piece. But we might have different reasons
for concluding that his past activities are irrelevant. As I said in my
piece, my reason for not getting into Joof's true character is that he is
going to work for a government headed by crooks that careless about
integrity. If this was a legitimate government, don't you think that they
would want the AG (custodian of our laws) to be someone with impeccable
character? So, questionable transactions Joof might have been involved in,
should be relevant in a discourse talking about Joof's appointment.  Again,
I will not get into the matter any further, because there is no point in
doing so as I stated above.

I know Joseph Joof very well. When I questioned his professional
achievements, I compared him with Ousman Sillah, Antouman Gaye, Ousainou
Darboe and Ida Drammeh. In my opinion, all these people are better lawyers
than Joof. The only place I could discern where I questioned Joof's academic
achievements, was where I stated that while he was at the Sixth Form there
were students that had better A'Levels but were not given scholarships to go
study law in Britain. Am I lying?

Ous, I am a true partisan and I am unapologetic about it. I will not come to
the defense of any of these vermin. It saddens me when I see good people
like you, Dr. Touray, Momodou Camara etc. come to the defense of these
people. Like I say, I will not fault you for that unless you speak untruth.
I also expect the same amount of respect from you. Frankly, I think you are
wasting emotions on people that are unworthy of your support, and when you
intervene on their behalf, you send the wrong signals to some of your
friends. It does not tell well on you when you criticize some one because
they said something that might be offensive to Yaya and his gang and then
tolerate Yaya supporters coming here and telling blatant lies about people.
Last week blatant lies were told about me and Ebrima Ceesay and no one from
G_L List Management came here to put the record straight. To me, those lies
are more serious than calling Yaya a moron or saying that Joseph Joof is not
an 'outstanding success' when compared to legal luminaries like Ousman
Sillah.

Finally, I just want to make it abundantly clear that I am not here to be
politically correct or to be 'fair' to Yaya and his cohorts. A government
that sanctioned the murder of our children in broad daylight, does not
deserve any good words from me. That is where I am coming from when I write
to G_L. If you want to read or hear good things about Yaya, go read the
Observer or listen to GRTS. I hope we understand each other.
KB