GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
saiks samateh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Feb 2000 06:02:33 PST
Prince,
Enjoy this last postings of yours.But how many Akus came out of the
hospitality of the Mandingas and still remain Akus.It is very clear that the
Mandingas are the most assimilating folks in our country.You have Njies
,Colleys,Sanyangs,Jattas ,all of them Mandingos,how is this possible,because
you are either a  Mandingo or a "Nding".Just look at Badibu,after decades of
this assimilation process they have become the largest group in this
region.This process still continues,two of my brothers wives are Jolas,all of
them speak the language but non of their children do speak Jola,in the long
run they all will become Mandingos,including their mothers.

For Freedom
Saiks

Malanding,
This mail was originally meant to be private to Malanding Jaiteh, but on
second thought I think the list should also see it.
The relationship between Akus and Mandingoes is deeper than what you think.
Whatever the Akus do for a Mandingo, they (the Akus) are only repaying a
debt that they owed. The first settlement of the Akus in the Gambia was in
Georgetown (Janjangburrah). My great, great grandfather whose name was Sam
Coker (Osseh and Pa Abdoulie), was a small-time trader in Georgetown. He
gave us the name of the fabric "Samba-Kuka" derived from his name. (I got
this one from the late Master Sillah and Pa Ogoo better known as Pa Club).
The reception and hospitality that the Akus had, in Georgetown, are somewhat
ingrained in the psyche of almost all Akus. The true Akus do not normally
distinguish between the tribes, including their own in the Gambia. It has
never been in the upbringing of an Aku to see a person from a tribal
viewpoint. When people talk about tribalism, you rarely hear them talking
about the Aku. They cannot and they should not. To give a good example, at
the time of
Independence (1965) all, I repeat, ALL heads of department in the entire
Gambia were Akus, but it was not Akus that they trained and groomed to
take-over from them but the capable and efficient person to do the job. This
could be better explained in the domestic environment. If in an Aku home
your job is to wash the dishes and you are not doing it to the liking of
your elders, that chore will be taken from you and assign to somebody else.
Don't think you are off the hook. No way, brother some other chore is
waiting for you. Be it pounding the pepper or sweeping the compound or
whatever there is to do. Until it is discovered what your forte is, then
that is what they will allow you to do.  Hei, I am deviating.
The relationship between Mandingoes and Akus that you mentioned is of
another level. My point about the "Ndingo" suffix is simply generally. When
a Mandingo calls an Aku "N'Na Aku Kebba" they are surely not talking about
me. To some of my friends like Lamin Juwara, Kemeseng Jammeh, Modou Jarjusey
and most of  the class of '64, I will forever be an "Aku-Ndingo". If I am
not that to them, then something must be wrong. These are some of the my
Mandingoes peers and mentors who are responsible for whatever you think of
me. If you think that I am a failure, the blame is partly on them. If you
consider me a success, the glory is partly theirs.
One more note:
Malinding, you nearly ruined my birthday gathering today when I read your
posting asking Jabou for the recipe of "Domoda with Curry". I know Gambian
women are very inventive in substituting our local condiments with what they
have, but "Domoda with Curry" is really a super invention. I had to wait
until my guests were finished with eating, then I told them about it. The
laughter was the loudest we had today.  I am sure Jabou will publish the
recipe on the List. My wife is not a Gambian but she could cook Domoda and
her first curiosity was "What is curry doing in a GOOD Domoda?" I would
really like to taste that. So Jabou, let's get the making of this super
dish.
Hamadi Banna,  I hope this reply answers your question.
Cheers

Prince Coker