GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Sidi M Sanneh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 29 Oct 2000 16:24:36 GMT
Dear Saiks,

As to so many who have written both publicly and privately, I say thanks for
your concern about the safety of all of us here in Cote d'Ivoire. On the
issues you raised in you posting, I have the following comments to make:

The reasons behind Ouattara's demand for fresh elections was based on the
fact that he, together with the PDCI candidates were declared ineligible for
various reasons.  As you know, in the case of Ouattara, it was for the
reason that his mother was not Ivorian when the Constitution calls for both
parents being Ivorians.  Ouattara bitterly contests this.  As a result of
his being barred to run, he urged his supporters to boycott the presidential
elections.  PDCI also boycotted the elections because all their nominees
were also declared ineligible by the Constitutional Court.  The RDR and PDCI
are the two biggest political parties as confirmed in the total number of
eligible votes cast on election day; i.e 37.4 per cent.  62.6 per cent of
all eligible voters did not vote, presumable because they were either RDR or
PDCI.  Included in this figure are those who would not have voted even if
both Ouattara and the PDCI candidate were on the ballot. The  general
feeling, however, is that the majority that stay away were RDR and PDCI
supporters.  Some of Gbagbo's votes were protest votes against Guei.  They
would rather see a civilian with political experience elected than Guei
retained.  These protests votes may have been a combination of Ouattara and
Bedie supporters who are still licking their wounds after being overthrown
by Guei. Whether they voted for him with the expectation of a call for fresh
election is uncertain. But my view is to the contrary because Ivorians are
not that politically naive to believe that Gbagbo, who has been in the
political wilderness for over two decades, will call for fresh elections
after winning; a re-run which he is not certain to win.

I am of a different opinion as it concerns the democratic credentials of
Ouattara.  True, he was the hand-picked PM of Houphoueh-Boigny but his
record during his tenure shows him to be an incorruptible man and an
efficient manager. He fought corruption from the top down which is one of
his problems dogging him to this day because those big guns of the PDCI from
whom he demanded accountability are still around.  Anyway, let us give
Gbagbo a chance to display his democratic credentials and leadership
qualities.

Initially, Ouattara demanded a re-run but after meeting Gbagbo he has
indicated his willingness to proceed with the legislative elections in
December which observers believe he will win with a majority.  Should he
control the legislature, Gbagbo would find it difficult to govern without a
coalition and/or a compromise acceptable to the opposition.  Ouattara is no
longer insisting on a fresh election at this point. Come December, the story
could be different altogether.

On a personal note, my regards to Ndey and the little one.

Sidi Sanneh