GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ylva Hernlund <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Oct 2000 08:58:40 -0700
---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2000 23:40:18 EDT
From: [log in to unmask]
To: [log in to unmask], [log in to unmask], [log in to unmask],
     [log in to unmask], [log in to unmask],
     [log in to unmask], [log in to unmask], [log in to unmask],
     [log in to unmask], [log in to unmask], [log in to unmask],
Subject: [AfricaMatters] Women March Against Poverty

Women March Against Poverty

By JESSE J. HOLLAND
.c The Associated Press

WASHINGTON (AP) - Women from around the world marched and shouted ``Shame!''
at the World Bank and the International Monetary Fund buildings in a protest
against world poverty and the mistreatment of women.

Several thousand marchers from Africa, Asia and the Americas chanted in a
cacophony of languages their support for equal rights for women and their
opposition to domestic violence.

``Violence and poverty are the two main enemies of African women,'' Oumarsou
Hadiza, a teacher from Niger, said at the event Sunday. ``I want to stop the
violence and poverty around the world and that's why I came here.''

The IMF and the World Bank are the main lending institutions for poor
countries. Activists in a major new movement against globally based economics
contend the institutions' lending policies discriminate against the poor.

The Washington rally was a culminating event of the World March of Women
2000, which began in March in Geneva.

The movement's international delegation planned to meet Monday with IMF and
World Bank officials to seek greater debt relief and improved lending for
poor countries. The same group will meet with U.N. Secretary General Kofi
Annan on Tuesday to present him with petitions signed by 2 million people
seeking an end to violence against women.

``This march is against the champions of patriarchy that deny the human,
democratic and social welfare of women,'' said Ramesh Sepehrrad, spokeswoman
for the National Committee of Women for a Democratic Iran.

Other speakers from the United States had a political focus.

``In three weeks and a few days we will carry this energy, this enthusiasm
and these issues to the voting booths of this country to elect a government
that will support our equality,'' said Patricia Ireland, president of the
National Organization for Women, the lead organizer of the march.

Ireland also condemned the treatment of women in the war-ravaged regions of
the world. ``Our prayers and our spirit goes out to those in the Middle East,
especially the women and the children,'' she said.

The cheering crowd held signs supporting a range of issues such as defense of
abortion rights and protests of female circumcision, or genital mutilation.

Molly Mattessich, 21, said she came from Boston because she empathized with
the condition of women around the world. ``It was important for me to come
because there are so many women around the world who can't speak for
themselves,'' she said.

Some men joined in. Dan Nooter, 23, of Washington, spent his day volunteering
at the march. ``Violence is something that men have a responsibility for
ending,'' he said. ``But I'm not coming out here as a man. I'm coming out
here as someone who is concerned about ending violence and poverty.''

EDITOR'S NOTE - Associated Press writer David Ho in Washington contributed to
this story.

On the Net:

World March of Women 2000: http://www.worldmarch.org/

National Organization for Women: http://www.now.org

AP-NY-10-16-00 0113EDT

Copyright 2000 The Associated Press.

Get FREE long-distance phone calls on Tellme!
Click here for the scoop:
http://click.egroups.com/1/9531/14/_/192352/_/971754052/

To the extent possible, please keep postings concise. Our archives are at : http://www.egroups.com/group/us-afr-network .  To Post a message, send it to [log in to unmask] .  Tell others to subscribe by sending a blank message to [log in to unmask] .  To Unsubscribe, send a blank message to: [log in to unmask]