GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
saihou Mballow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Jul 2001 00:44:08 -0700
Mr.Dampha,
           i must begin by thanking you for forwarding
my posting to the L ,the other day when i had trouble
with my computer and for expressing your concern about
the recent ended voter registration exercise.

First,i would like to take this opportunity to thank
the UDP registration agents who participated during
the exercise for the impressive showing and courage
done under extreme pressure and against a state
machinery that saw no bounds and spared no efforts in
its use of national resources as you rightly stated
the immigration,NIA,police,chiefs and agents of the
July 22nd movement.

we have heard through the press,the widespread
intimidation and harassment perpetrated by the
government on UDP registration agents.

UDP registration agents reported incidents of
intimidation by some district chiefs who are also the
chairmen of the July 22nd movement in their respective
administrative areas.The chiefs named are
chief-Sambujang Jagne of Farafenni and chief-Jarjussey
of Jarra Soma.However,these matters will be deal with
immediately by the party's legal secretary-Mariam
Denton at the revising courts.

Also there are reports that so many illegal registered
voters took place mainly around Sere Kunda ,Farafenni
and Fonis but some of these cases are going to be
difficult to prove hence, the claimants had the
backing of the immigration and some village elders.

The alleged intimidation and harassment played by the
government had a decisive role in the low turnout
registration of voters.

For the principle of transparency,the IEC is expected
in a matter of days to consult with the chief Justice
for the appointment of Magistrates for the revising
courts and to come up with a press release stating the
following:

[a] Total number of registered voters in each
administrative area.

[b] Total number of rejected registered voters in each
administrative area.

[c] Overall total number of registered voters nation
wide.

Dampha,still there is an avenue for one to appeal to
the supreme court against a decision of a revising
court on section 29. of the elections decree and i
will bring that portion later.

Finally,UDP will always dedicate itself to the worthy
and patriotic objective that it has set itself to
achieve and would play its full part for the
betterment of our nation as a genuine opposition
party.

Saihou