GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Katim S. Touray" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 1 Jun 1999 23:07:47 -0500
Hi folks,

I would like to touch briefly on this on-going issue.

First, I appreciate the concern expressed by many people, both in private and
on the list, about Matarr's insults to them.  Also, I am very grateful to all
for their help in resolving this issue once and for all, and especially to
Ebrima Ceesay for sending in some invaluable information about Matarr.

I have been meaning to send in an update on the issue, but have been swamped
with work.  In addition, I am still working on some aspects of the problem, and
so I will have to wait until I get some definite information to share with you.

For now, I'd like to say that my correspondence with HotMail has resulted in
the closure of two of Matarr's accounts, [log in to unmask] (the Burama Manjang
address), and also [log in to unmask] (the Matarr Njai address).  Notice that
there is a different spelling of his last name in the second address I gave
you.

For your information, Matarr has repeated the above pattern of varying the
spelling of this or that name.  Thus, following the closure of the
njaggari@hotmail account, I received a copies of e-mail he'd sent from
[log in to unmask] to Jabou Joh, and Ebrima Jobe.  Again, notice the slight
change in the spelling of the username "njaggari."

I would like to say that it is fortunate that I have all this documentary
evidence to present to the authorities at the University of Malaya.  Indeed, I
sent their Webmaster an e-mail last night (Sunday, May 31), and this morning
(Mon. June, 1) I received an e-mail confirming that my e-mail was forwarded
both to the Dean of the Faculty that Matarr attends, and I believe another
Professor there.  I am awaiting word from them, and will be contacting people
that Matarr sent me copies of e-mail he had sent them in response to their
postings on Gambia-L.  I will leave it at that until later, and like I said,
I'll keep you informed about developments on this front.

May I also, before I forget, say that while I appreciate help in getting
background information on Matarr, I do not think it helps our case, or is fair
to him, to post overly personal information on the list.  For example, even
though there at one time was talk about how old Matarr is, I don't think it was
warranted for Ebrima Ceesay to post Matarr's age on the list.  In my mind, the
information was too personal, and totally irrelevant to our building a case for
him to stop sending insulting e-mail to people on the list.  But then again, I
suppose we all make mistakes, and so I would like us to excercise a little more
caution before we post material about other people on the list.

I guess that's about all for now.  Didn't I say that before?

Have a great week, and best wishes in your endeavors.

Katim