GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Fye Samateh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 6 Feb 2005 22:28:20 +0100
 God bless Bob Marley and his vision for a United Africa.

Fye.

AFRICA UNITE 2005
Description
The Bob Marley FoundationLtd. USA and Rita Marley Foundation Ltd. USA are
not-for -profit 501 (c) (3) corporations. The Foundations were establishedto
provide assistance to organizations that conduct programs ai me d at
relieving poverty and suffering of infants, youths and the elderly, further
to assist in the uplift me nt and empower me nt of the oppressed.
" We're gonna help our people, help them right..."Smile Jamaica by Bob
Marley
Intent
The Bob Marley Foundation and the Rita Marley Foundation will host the
Honor-Rebel Robert Nesta Marley's 60 th Birthday in February 2005. As
Brother Bob Marley was committed to seeing the unification and uplift me nt
of Africa , it is only fitting that this event be held in Addis Ababa ,
Ethiopia - the capital of Africa . The event is called AFRICA UNITE,
honoring Brother Bob's vision of African unity. Combining entertain me nt
and education AFRICA UNITE will make a substantial impact on communities
everywhere, particularly Ethiopia . The Marley Family, I-Three, Yousou N'
Dor, Angelique Kidjo, Peter Gabriel and other international artists will
deliver a me morable musical affair to thousands live and millions via
broadcast. They will also heighten international awareness about the
disparity in education, health care, and the suffering of wo me n and
children. The artists are all committed to the cause and to the event.
Proceeds generated go to the Bob and Rita Marley Foundations for projects in
Africa and the Diaspora.
Bob Marley's music speaks to and about the conditions of humanity. His voice
was one of compassion, hope, and love. Several artists/human rights
advocates now also voice their concerns in Africa . But over twenty years
ago, Brother Bob was one of the first international artists to bring Africa
and its struggles to the minds and hearts of the international community.
The Marley Family is committed to Bob's legacy as a champion for human
rights. AFRICA UNITE will honor the Patriarch's 60th Birthday and strengthen
all those who work so hard to fulfill the sa me vision.
AFRICA UNITE includes a month long series of activities - to coincide with
the Diaspora's Black History month - including concerts, symposia, plenary
sessions, art/photo exhibit, soccer clinics, and workshops. This event will
strengthen relationships between the public and private sectors and civil
society organizations including universities, community based organization,
govern me ntal and non-govern me ntal organizations. Together, we will
solidify our commit me nt to Africans at ho me and abroad.
AFRICA UNITE is an excellent opportunity for partners/sponsors to access
various markets through Broadcast, DVD, and a host of other ancillary
opportunities. The event may also serve as a telethon for donors to call or
e-mail donations/pledges via Pay Pal. The event has a myriad of benefits to
all involved, particularly the people of Ethiopia .
AFRICA UNITE - Bob Marley
Africans Unite, Afri-Africans Unite, yeh, Africans Unite
'Cause we're moving right out of Babylon -we're grooving to our Father's
land.
Behold how good and how pleasant it would be, before God and man
To see the unification of all Africans,
As it's been said already, let it be done,
We are the children of the higher man-We are the children of the Rasta man,
United for the benefit of your people, unite 'cause its later than you
think,
Unite both abroad and at ho me , unite 'cause its later than you think.
Robert Nesta Marley born in St. Ann , Jamaica on February 6, 1945 , moved to
a housing sche me called Trenchtown in 1957. It was in Trenchtown that
Brother Bob would begin his musical journey with his Rastafari brothers
Peter Tosh and Bunny Wailer. It was Trenchtown where Brother Bob me t and
married his life partner a nurse and singer herself, Rita Marley. As
teenagers they fought for their survival in a place where poverty and
prejudice prevailed. This young couple was determined to change not only
their lives, but the destiny of all sufferers.
Set in the genre of Reggae music, Bob's lyrics such as "Emancipate yourself
from me ntal slavery " and "Get up stand up, stand up for your rights" and
"Africa Unite" beca me anthems of self determination and self realization
for Africans at ho me and abroad. His music slowly crossed ethnic, racial,
and age barriers, topping international charts with songs of unification and
uplift me nt, inspiring and enlightening peoples of the world. In 1974 Bunny
Wailer and Peter Tosh no longer sang with Bob. Bob was joined by the
I-Threes--na me ly Rita Marley, Marcia Griffiths, and Judy Mowatt.
The Bob Marley Foundation and Rita Marley Foundation are founded on the
principles in the lyrics of Bob Marley and the Wailers and hence a natural
progression for the develop me nt of Africa and the elimination of poverty
and prejudice in the world. The Foundations are USA based not-for-profit
corporations establishedto support organizations conducting programs ai me d
at relieving poverty and suffering of infants, youths and the elderly
through education, health and environ me ntal initiatives.
Brother Bob Marley sings in Smile Jamaica, "We're gonna help our people,
help them right." The Foundations help through partnerships with
individuals, communities and similar NGO's, supporting various projects in
Ethiopia , Ghana and Jamaica including the Shashemane Basic School
established by Jamaican repatriates in Shashemane. Mary's Child - ho me for
pregnant teenagers, many survivors of rape and incest, are also
beneficiaries. The Foundations have also adopted the Konkonuru Basic School
in Aburi , Ghana and the entire village has benefited from infrastructural
improve me nts including roads, electricity and accessible water supply.
While there are many other projects including the Bob Marley Schools,
breakfast programs and scholarships, Cedella Marley - the eldest daughter of
Bob and Rita Marley a driving force on the Bob Marley Foundation's Board
states simply, "Our work has just begun."
The Africa Unite, eventcelebrating the Honor Rebel Robert "Bob" Nesta Marley's
60 th birthday will be held in Ethiopia - the capital of Africa , residence
of the Solomonic Royal Line, and birthplace and ho me to the Organization of
African Unity (OAU) and the African Union (AU). Through this event Ethiopia
will be highlighted and reaffir me d as a major contributor to Africa 's
glorious past, present and future.
Committed to transparency, accountability and cooperation, Nana Rita Marley,
the Marley Family, Dr. Desta Meghoo - Peddie, Foundations and Friends call
upon Heads of State, Civil Society, Activists, Elders and Youths in Africa
and worldwide to join us as we Unite Africa for the benefit of her people.
Let us Unite Africa to end the violence, poverty, injustice and suffering
that impacts the world!

CONTACTS:
Nikki Barjon - [log in to unmask] ( USA)
Gerry Lyseight - [log in to unmask] (Europe)
Dianne Regisford - [log in to unmask] (Africa)
  http://www.bobmarleyfoundation.org/New_index.html

いいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいい

いいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいい