GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Momodou Camara <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 May 2001 20:55:29 +0200
Gambia-L,
For your information, I have been in touch with one of the Server
administrators of St. Johns about some Gambia-L members not receiving mails at
the moment. I can see from the reply that they are also aware of the problem
and hopefully working on solving it.

**** REPLY FROM KARY ST. JOHNS ********************************

No.  Maelstrom is fine.  St. John's is fubar.  We have over 124,000 pieces
of mail, 94,000 for hotmail alone, waiting to get out through the campus
Internet connection.  St. John's is closed on Fridays through the rest of
the summer and last Thursday and yesterday were holidays for us.  As you
can correctly deduce by looking at Maelstrom's performance meters, last
Thursday:

http://maelstrom.stjohns.edu/lsmtp-stats/2001/stats-0524.html

...things look normal.  Try overstriking that 24 with a 25, 26, 27...
and watch the deliveries creep down and the delivery times sky-rocket.
This is nothing compared to the rest of the University, where telnet
sessions can take up to 8 minutes to complete a backspace, and popping
mail is impractical - bordering on the impossible.  How an entire
University can remain this badly screwed up for this long is a complete
mystery to me.  I know there are network guys currently on this campus
because I saw some this morning, and I know they are aware of the problem
because I started leaving messages on answering machines Friday.  And
that's the sum total of what I know.  Again, as far as SJU is concerned,
Maelstrom is an insignificant server on the periphery of the university
that is being impacted _less_ than dozens of others.