GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Sidi Sanneh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Dec 2002 08:26:09 -0500
Yusupha,

My reference to the poor quality of seeds was specific to Pa Modou's
question about the quality of ground-nut output. It was never meant to
explain away the 75% decline in output. In fact, ground-nut production
went up last year but the problem was still the marketing and quality
aspect that continue to dog the sub-sector. My position on the ground-nut
marketing problem is that Alimenta should be invited back with specific
guarantees. I hope Government will consider this proposal seriously. The
sub-sector cannot afford to continue with the current arrangement which
seems to attract 'investors' who demand government guarantee to purchase
the crop. I cannot consider these types as serious investors and their
presence in the sub-sector should not be entertained. As I write, farmers
in the North Bank have started to sell their nuts to the senegalese
middlemen. See the following:
http://allafrica.com/stories/200212210032.html Please bear in mind that
nuts sold across the border will not feature in our production figures.
The reverse scenario was the case in the 70s, 80s and the early 90s when
Senegalese farmers sold their nuts in The Gambia because they were paid
cash instead of being handed IOUs as was then the norm in Senegal which
bulstered our production figures.

Moving on to the other issue, the performance of the economy is generally
poor across sectors, including Tourism, and the Secretary of State has
admitted that in his speech. It is true that the British Travel Advise
following the coup dealt a devastating blow to the sector but it must also
be admitted that the sector has recovered appreciably since then and
actually inching to the 12% share of GDP.  Anecdotal evidence suggests an
increase in the number of visitors this year from last year. My concern is
the impact of military presence in tourist areas in response to the so-
called 'bumster problem'.  Using private beach patrol while at the same
time provide job opportunities within the current Coastal Erosion Project
would be a better option. The Tourism Master Plan Study currently being
tendered will provide a blueprint for the sector and better planning
guidelines for future investment.  The recently-established Gambia Tourism
authority should be well funded to be able to effectively market The
Gambia as an attractive tourist destination.

Happy Holiday Season to ALL.

Sidi Sanneh