GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
panderry mbai <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 23 Jan 2006 11:23:01 +0000
              AS  NADD BRACES FOR MONDAY'S FINALE; B.B.DARBOE & SAIKOU SABALLY PULL STRINGS- Dr. NYAMBI TOURAY IS "EMISSARY OF DOOM."

                         By Ebrima G.Sankareh & Pa Nderry M'Bai

       Banjul, The Gambia: Some time last week we co-authored a news breaker on NADD's leadership impasse for which we have been condemned and called various names. Some old friends went as far as insinuating that we were craving for bribes from President Jammeh.Others dubbed the piece "damaging" and some "erroneous".Lo and behold, they are recanting their allegations driven primarily by tribal sentiments.Yet again, we are reporting another unassailable news breaker, a quite complex one this time.
             Fellow Gambians, we report with 360 degrees certainty of a disturbing development in our history.Our competent sources that we have used for over a decade now, have informed us that Dr. Nyambi Touray was at Omar Jallow's house late last night negotiating for a truce between OJ and Mr. Ousainou Darboe. Dr.Touray our sources reveal, was dispatched by the UDP leadership following a conclave among the party's top brass. Amazingly, our political source at UDP reports, that Messrs: B. B Darboe and Saikou Sulayman Sabally, the duo whose power struggle ramshackled the PPP regime, called in to offer their advice.In sum, both Darboe and Sabally reportedly expressed their unconditional support to Darboe's candidature and offered strategies in how to convince OJ to bow down and give chance to their choice.
             No sooner had the conclave ended, than Dr.Touray was sent to meet OJ, a meeting that our sources described as quite embarrassing for Dr.Touray to say the least.Our dependable sources disclose that OJ was at his best in his dialogue with Nyambi.The former Agriculture Minister we are told was quite unequivocal in revealing to Emissary Touray of the dangers of tribal politics which it appeared was  creeping in.Jallow we are reliably told had some very strong words for his former colleagues for their hypocrisy and tribal gimmicks at a time when the country needs every fiber of the society to pitch in.Feeling humiliated and speechless, reveal our sources, Emissary Touray left  in the wee hours of Saturday night.Part of Dr. Touray's mission was to have five UDP officials and five PPP officials sit down with OJ and Darboe and see how the two could iron out their differences and map out a strategy of talking OJ to decline his candidature.This according to our sources shocked OJ
 who categorically asked Touray if he( Jallow) and  Ousainou had had any previous rancour.
            Be that as it were, the most disturbing part of these behind the scene manipulations by Darboe and Sabally is that the duo once arch-rivals, are at the centre of the nemisis of Gambia's political failure.We report without equivocation that Bakary Bunja Darboe  and Saikou Sulayman Sabally created the Yaya Jammeh  syndrome in our chequered body politics. Certainly, OJ was a PPP cabinet minister but Sabally and Darboe wielded more political gravitage than any one else.Together, they presided over a party and country purely on family and tribal politics.The rancour between the Darboe and Sabally camps were so evident that one has to be a political idiot not to have grasped it. Amazingly, even after Darboe and Sabally fled The Gambia aboard the US Lamore County off the coast of Banjul, OJ stayed to face the consequences. A little later, B.B Darboe returned to Banjul and presided over the Finance Ministry under a military junta that  barely a week ago, ousted his
 constitutionally elected P.P.P. It remains to be seen now, how we as citizens can allow BBD and SSB to once again determine our political future.We have to be consoled by the degree of hardship: the Jolas, the Mandikas, the Serehules, the wollofs, the Fulas, the Manjacks, the Papels, the Akus and all else are faced with in Jammeh's Gambia.This suffering has no ethnic boundaries. We have seen what happened in the great lakes of Africa, (Rwanda and Brundi) and the carnage tribalism can cause a people. let us talk parliamentary democracy and bury tribalism's ugly head for the sake of country and posterity.No matter what our view points, we must avoid to be seen as seeing others as the proverbial outsider. "The Gambia homeland , we strive and work and pray..." for the better of all Gambians says our national anthem.We close this piece with the immortal words of the 16th. century pontive Pope Alexander the VI thus: "Rome is a free city...everyone may write and speak as he pleases. Evil
 is often spoken of me but I let it pass".