GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Bakary Kanteh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 13 Jan 2002 04:23:44 +0000
Hello Mr Sillah,

The APRC will remain the same inspite of the President's crocodile plea for
forgiveness during his inaugural speech, which many Gambians and external
friends of the Gambia heralded as signalling the dawn of a new era of
tolerance by the APRC Government. President Jammeh was only fooling himself
and those around him and undoubtedly other 'too-trusting' of my compatriots
but not the rest who Shall only judge him by his words and deeds.
Is it not quite obvious from the APRC Government's request for the EU's
Chief representative in the country to be replaced that President Jammeh is
not ready and willing to accept criticism or sincere advice from any person
or quarter. It cannot be a mere coincidence that the Government's reaction
closely follows on the heels of the note verbal recently issued by the EU on
the unconstitutional acts and abuse of the human rights of perceived
opposition supporters by the APRC Government in the aftermath of its
re-election.
The reaction of the regime borders on immaturity and from its lack of
understanding of the dynamics of international relations and global
interdependence. It clearly shows the type of thinking of those at the helm
of our State's affairs, so God help us or else we are doomed to more
isolation from the international community, except Libya, Cuba and Taiwan.
The Government's request is worse than paranoid, it is absolute madness that
shall, if unchecked and not reversed, only harm the Gambia's international
standing.
What will be the consequences in Gambia's relations with the EU if the
latter should as a matter of principle decide not to agree to the APRC
government's request? Perhaps another diplomatic expulsion? or what other
option does the regime have?

The future shall tell but we hope that commonsense will be the guiding
principle, at least for once, for President Jammeh and his unrefined
advisers.

The yoke of oppression is bound to be shattered!

BMK

Ebrima Sillah reported:
" >now...am sure most of you might have heard my report
>on the BBC this evening that the Gambia government has
>asked the UE to replace it country representative to
>the Gambia because of allegations of 'hidden agenda'
>on the part of the deplomat and what the government
>calls his contemptious attitudes towards the
>authorities here."
You will all remember that this is