GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
ebrima ceesay <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Jul 1999 07:09:27 PDT
Ndey & Saiks,

Thanks for hosting me at the weekend, and I hope I was not a pain in the
neck. Anyway, it was really great to spend the weekend with you people -
including Dr Saine - and I hope to repay your hospitality and kindness
whenever you find time to visit that capital of the world called Birmingham.

Needlessly to say that - being a Ceesay Kunda (laugh!) - I did enjoy the
food, the "attaya", the atmosphere and, of course, the interesting political
discussions I had had with Brother Wassa Fatty, especially in relation to
the writings/works of the late Pan Africanist and well-known writer,
Abdulrahman M. Babu, who died in london in early August 1996.

Interestingly, just before I came to write/send this e-mail to the L, I
passed at Sandra's bookshop, and she showed me a relatively new book titled
"Tomorrow's Africa conference" containing, among other things, a very
powerful keynote speech given by Babu at a conference on Africa, at the
London School of Economics, organised by OXFAM in 1994.

Ndey, tell Wassa that by the grace of God, I'll give him a complementary
copy of this book next time I am in London. Frankly, Babu's brain was
superb: a great thinker!! As we are about to commemorate the third
anniversary of his death towards the end of next week, it is our wish/hope
that Babu is lying very comfortably in God's heaven.

And before it escapes my mind, Momodou Camara, I was/am so glad that you did
not come to London to attend the get-together at Ndey Jobarteh's flat,
because you would have eaten all the food under five seconds (laugh!!). In
fact, some one told me the other day that each Camara Kunda eats a 100 kilos
bag of rice per day. No wonder rice is always scarce in the Gambia (laugh!)

Lamin Ceesay, what's up in Atlanta? How was your trip to the Gambia? Did you
enjoy it? Why not you give us - Gambia L - your "Top 10 list"?
By the way, how was/is Pap Saine? What about Deyda Hydara? I take it that
they are all fine and in good health. My regards to your wife, Irie.

Ebrima Ceesay,
Birmingham, UK.