GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Yusupha Jow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Sep 2000 22:51:30 EDT
To be honest, I still question the genuineness of Kofi Annan in respect to
helping the UN define a more influential role in Africa.  I say this because
he has failed us not only once, but several times.

During the Rwanda conflict a top secret memo hit the man's desk in his NYC UN
office that warned about impending disaster, a possible plan to carry out
ethnic genocide against over 1 million Tutsis.  This message was sent to then
Mr. Annan by the then commander of UNAMIR, the  UN peace keeping force in
this country at the time.  At the time of the memo landing on his desk, the
crisis was possible but still far a distant threat.

 Kofi's message back to the commander was to not fire a single shot. No vote
to see what approach was to be taken but simply a quick reply that was
received in minutes by the commander in the far off, crisis torn African
country called Rwanda. Hundreds of thousands of our own brothers meanwhile
faced an uncertain death. The UN, at the behest of our supposed African
savior, was to adopt a hands off approach.. We all know what followed.  Simila
rly he adopted the same approach to crises in Sierra Leone and many other
countries.

Additionally, the man seems to be oblivious to the plight of many African
countries.  If recollection serves me right, he did visit our country in the
aftermath of the student massacre.  This leads me to believe that the man is
totally out of touch with the realities of the continent, or maybe being a
diplomat is akin to being a hypocrite these days.

Jabou I commend you for forwarding this piece of mail.  But, based on his
actions, his sermons and communiques mean nothing to me because Africa has
not benefited from this man's tenure as so Chief Puppet UN Secretary
Generalismo.