GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Bamba Laye <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Nov 2001 09:09:11 -0500
Malik,

I think we will just have to agree to disagree on some points we raised.
Overall, we share the same sentiments on most of the issues albeit from a
different perspective. You will probably agree that the current government
structure is such that there appears to be an elite group of experts in
their various capacities who are effectively underutilized by a leadership
structure that operates in the most haphazard manner. One that “operates as
an independent mind.” You know such would be the most dangerous case of a
public machinery that will ever exist; because critical decisions affecting
the livelihood of all citizens will in effect, rest on the shoulders of one
person who, unfortunately, is not the best of the crop. It effectively
defeats the notion of pluralism in a government that is supposed to be the
mantle of collective power emanating from the common. It appears that these
elite groups of experts in their own rights are torn between the loyalty
to “thy self”, “thy people” and “thy leader”. There will exist a conflict
between these three categories of loyalty only when the interest and the
common weal are not safeguarded. Our brothers and sisters in the national
army are no exception in this dilemma. The tendency is to deny oneself of
being in such a chaotic web. The next thing we see is total control of the
mind and spirit of the experts who have effectively reduced themselves into
toadies for self-aggrandizement by the leader who “operates as an
independent mind.” A dangerous state of affairs indeed!

Thanks for an enlightening discussion.

Abdoulie A. Jallow
(BambaLaye)