GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Tue, 25 Jun 2002 17:47:48 +0200
This mail should have been posted since yesterday and because of the hectic
weekend with many demonstrations against the World Bank in Oslo, the whole of
the weekend and yesterday there was very little time to do it.
It was two years yesterday, since Dumo Saho was arrested, detained and late
charged with planning to overthrow the government among other things.
I have never been convince that there is any amount of truth in what is been
said and the fact that the State is still unable to make sure that the case is
being heard in court and justice be done, is enough evidence for me. The fact
that this State is responsible for holding citizens of the country in custody
and refused to take heed to both national and international opinion on the
case dose not only unveil, the police state   character of the APRC
government, that can hold both the judiciary and simple common sense in
contempt, but also the hypocrisy we see in all of their politics. The ex
president, whose government was over thrown, accused of economic mismanagement
and the political, cultural and economic marginalization of the Gambian people
and nation, is been given amnesty in the name of “reconcialtion”by the APRC
government. This is the same government using political power to hold in
custody citizens of the country for 24 months and one day without any fair
trail. Dumo was arrested for days without his family and legal adviser being
informed, without being brought before any court or charged, the State even
denied having them under custody and did so only after many pressure work
including legal actions.
There will be no economic progress in the country without respect for the rule
of law; we can never do away with poverty without respect for the rule of law.
I am so certain of this that much of the economic declarations from the state,
the many dreams and visions of prosperous Gambia with the APRC government, are
stories that I don’t even allow to be entertain with, they don’t belong to a
state that behaves more or less like a police State.
It will be in the interest of progress and humanity for the State to have
respect for the rule of law. To release Dumo and the rest from detention will
be a sign of this, no law, no court of law could hold them under detention for
so long without trail, it is only political power that can do so. Many
political powers have been responsible for their own downfall, when they
believed that through detention, torture etc they can silence and control the
minds of their citizens, they do end up achieving the very opposite. To free
Dumo and the rest is also in the interest of the progress, FREE THEM NOW.

For Freedom
Saiks