GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
ebrima ceesay <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Feb 2000 03:57:23 PST
My good brother Latjorr,

Because of time limit, I'll be very brief! What I can say to you is that
your opinion is your opinion and my opinion is my opinion. You do not have
to agree with me. Religion is a very sensitive issue and that's why I do not
even want to debate the subject. I, for one, will not entertain a debate on
religion on the L.

Anyway, I am hoping and praying to make it to the 4th July in Atlanta this
year, and since Wole Soyinka now lives and teaches in Atlanta, perhaps you
can arrange a debate, if you wish, between myself and Soyinka on African
Politics in general (not Literature laugh!). And I'll then speak my mind
before the eyes of Soyinka himself.

I'll expose - or attempt to expose - the Yuroba "mafias'" hands in Nigeria
politics, including his own hand, and ask him whether Africa needs leaders
who believe in the superiority of one tribe to the other. To be fair to the
Yorubas, the Nigerian Northerners who are Muslims are also guilty of these
tribal sentiments in Nigerian politics.

Anyway, as I stated before, I, for one, am not now bothered whether or not
the person is a Harvard University professor. But don't get me wrong! I
respect some of these professors; but I am very clear that they are not
perfect and, as such, they could be wrong at times!

No one is omniscient or all knowing! Again, Latjorr, your opinion is your
opinion and mine is mine! Believe what you believe and I believe what I
believe. You are asking me whether I have read Soyinka's works, yes of
course I did read some of his works! By the way, may God forbid, but if I
were to go mad in Birmingham, it would be too much reading that would have
caused it!

Ebrima Ceesay