GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Malanding Jaiteh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Jul 2001 09:13:56 -0400
Folks,
Comments and recommendations from our survey respondents continue.

Malanding

Respondent:"I personally believe that better use could have been made
for the welfare of all Gambians and all those who are interested in
Gambian affairs if the people who use it were a little bit more tolerant
of others's views. It is very unfortunate that the vulgarity of some
contributors is detering many people from joining the list i.e actually
posting any thing. Such people sometimes have useful info that may be
useful to some but would not post it simply because they do not want to
be called names or insulted. I don't know what the solution to this is,
but it would have been a very useful forum for all if this negative
attitude did not, in effect put in place SELF CENSORSHIP.
I also believe that the hatred of this regime should never be an excuse
to call for the alienation of the country or for the application of
sanctions on the Gambia. Ebrima Ceesay's post about Mr. baffor's paper
says it quite clearly, THE MEDIA IS VERY POWERFUL. We should be
responsible how we use it to educate each other. It should not be an
avenue to incite people. It should not be an avenue to bring about
hatred and enemity within us. I am sure the objective of setting up the
L is to provide all those who are interested in the welfare of The
gambia to share nformation and to plan together for a better future for
the country. This cannot be achieved if only a handful of people hijack
the forum by their vulgarity and thus denying other decent folks with
divergent views from expressing them. This will tantamount to censorship
of the WORST kind. These are generally my areas of concern."

Respondent: "I think we should engage in constructive debates and issues
that will advance our nation rather than unnecessary and personal
bickering."