GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Mon, 7 Feb 2000 13:07:31 -0000
Saul,

Your crude logic is becoming more evident. You supported the coup because
you trusted Jammeh. I refused to accept a ministerial post offered by the
coup makers on the grounds of principle. I have made it  abundantly clear at
the time that they could not build the type of society my colleagues and I
have devoted all our lives towards building. You abandoned the ship when you
realised that your trust was misconceived. I supported a party which opposed
President Jammeh's presidential aspirations by putting up its own
presidential candidate. I stood against the APRC in the National Assembly
elections.

Yet, your crude logic still gives you the impression that I saw nothing
wrong with President Jammeh becoming the President of the country. On what
grounds then did I reject the ministerial post he offered or PDOIS putting
up candidates against the APRC? You refused to acknowledge the democratic
principle my colleagues and I have always advocated - that it is not the
right of any Gambian in a sovereign republic to determine who is to exercise
his or her rights to be the representative of the people. This is why we
have never advocated for any party to be banned even the PPP, or that any
Gambian should be excluded from appearing before the people to seek a
mandate.

It is amazing that you are still finding it difficult to understand this
simple fact. This is what has compelled me to open up the debate. It is wide
open. This time I will not give you the latitude I have given before. I hope
you are fully prepared.

On the question of sycophants, I hope you will realise that the term fits
you more than anybody else. All you have been doing is simply serving as
Hamjatta's cheer leader. This became so disgusting that I concentrated on
communicating with Hamjatta rather than referring to your amplification of
his views.

When the debate started, you stated clearly that you have never read the
Constitution. However, at the end you claimed that I have sullied my image
by supporting a flawed constitution. I have to go back to your level so that
all those who are at your level will understand the message I have been
trying to communicate. I am quite sure that when I analyse the letter you
claim we have refused to publish, you will certainly regret that you have
ever written such a letter.

I am simply waiting for Hamjatta's answer to my questions. Since somebody
has sent Hamjatta the Indemnity Clause, I hope he is doing a thorough
analysis of the status of the Coroner's Act.

The debate is wide open, young man. It is wide open. This time I will not be
as generous as I was.

Greetings.

Halifa Sallah.