GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Sal Barry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Mar 2004 17:12:24 +0000
This topic in very interesting to say the least. One thing to avoid though
is using our limited understanding/intellect regarding matters related to
Islam. Indeed there are people well versed in Quran and Hadith who can
better explain these matters. These people are the scholars of al-Islam who
are the inheritors of the Prophets. We are 3 groups of people, 1-scholars,
2-students of knowledge, 3 Lay people (which is where a majority of us fit
in). When ALLAH Taa'ala in his infinite wisdom makes something permissible,
It is NOT befitting for a believer to say I am anti that thing and made
permissible or vice versa.

Below is a Fatawa that may shed some light on this issue.

Asking the People of Knowledge

Question:
When I come across a religious matter which I am not aware of, such as in
prayer, fasting, Hajj, dealing with others, or divorce, is it sufficient for
me to take the opinion of one of the Muslim scholars who is known to be
knowledgeable, righteous and God-fearing, and that he is qualified to issue
fataawa such as one of the council of senior scholars, or one who has
equivalent knowledge, and accept his response (to my question) and abide by
it? Or is it obligatory upon me to direct my question to a number of
scholars from amongst them, and then select (any response) which suits me
from their opinions in the event that they differ.

Response:
If you are unaware of a matter from the affairs of the  religion, then it is
upon you to ask the people of knowledge, as Allaah ( Subhaanahuwa
Ta’aala)says:
(Then ask the people of knowledge if you do not know) (Soorah an-Nahl, Aayah
43 and Soorah al-Anbiyaa, Aayah 7)

If someone whose knowledge and taqwa you trust gives you a fatwa, then it
obligatory upon you to abide by that fatwa. And it is not permissible for a
person to ask a number of scholars so as to select from their fataawa that
which is easiest for him, or that which suits his desires or opinion.

And with Allah lies all success and may Allaah send prayers and salutions
upon our prophet(sal-Allaahu ‘alayhe wa sallam) and his family and his
companions.

The Permanent Committee for Islamic Reasearch and Fataawa.
Comprising –
Head: Shaykh ‘Abdul ‘Azeez Ibn Abdullaah Ibn Baaz;
Member: Shaykh ‘Abdul-‘Azeez Aal ash-Shaykh;
Member: Shaykh Abdullaah Ibn Ghudayyaan;
Member: Shaykh Saalih  Ibn Fowzaan;
Member: Shaykh BakarIbn ‘Abdullaah Abu Zayd
Fataawa al-Lajnah ad-Daa.imah lil Buhooth al-llmiyyah wal-Iftaa., Volume 12,
Page 307, Fataawa No 19270

From www. Fatwa-online.com. The fatwa was retype so error/typos are entirely
mine.

O you who believe! Obey Allâh and obey the Messenger (Muhammad sal-Allaahu
‘alayhe wa sallam ), and those of you (Muslims) who are in authority. (And)
if you differ in anything amongst yourselves, refer it to Allâh and His
Messenger (sal-Allaahu ‘alayhe wa sallam), if you believe in Allâh and in
the Last Day. That is better and more suitable for final determination.
(Soorah an-Nisaa, Aayah 59)

But no, by your Lord, they can have no Faith, until they make you (O
Muhammad )( sal-Allaahu ‘alayhe wa sallam) Judge in all disputes between
them, and find in themselves no resistance against your decisions, and
accept (them) with full submission. (Soorah an-Nisaa, Aayah 65)

May Allaah make amongst those who say we hear and we obey.

Salieu Barry

Learn how to help protect your privacy and prevent fraud online at Tech
Hacks & Scams. http://special.msn.com/msnbc/techsafety.armx