GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Rene Badjan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Apr 2000 10:18:33 EDT
    I write with a very heavy heart. What happened in the Gambia is a very
sad development. For a while, and even now, most of us are being overwhelmed
with passion, but we have to be mindful that the seeds of destruction and
anarchy, are nurtured in the womb of our individual and collective actions,
both as a society and as a nation.  We therefore have to recognize the
capacity we have, both as individuals and as a society, to wrought havoc on
ourselves and others; we therefore need to harness our forces and gear them
towards a direction that creates social justice and national cohesion.

    What has happened in the Gambia is very painful; what is evolving in the
Gambia is a serious cause for concern. We need for a moment think about our
country, caught in the throes of this cataclysmic eruption, which if not
handled properly can have far reaching social and economic consequences.

   In the wake of this tragedy that blemish our nation, we are challenged to
rise to the occassion in a spirit of nationalism and nation building. This
spirit should transcend the political interest that govern our motivations
and actions. This spirit should guide against everything that would bring
unnecessary deaths and destruction to our nation. We will all raise our
voices and condemn this heinous act.

   We will pay homage to our nation; she mourns her image, and the tyranny
and callousness of some of her sons, who soaked her soil with the blood of
her future leaders.

    I extend my heartfelt sympathies to the families of the victims in this
unncesaary carnage.

       Rene