GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Saikou Samateh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Nov 2000 02:37:36 -0000
I believed this discussion is  getting out of context,if questioning the
democratic character of the election system and or the weakness of American
democracy should be a credit for the Jammeh regime it is not because some of
us are putting forward such questions but those who are questioning the
legitimise of  our  questions.If Dennis Jet,the leader of International
Center at the university of Florida could say that if what happened in Palm
Beach should have been the case in Latin America or Africa,American election
observer will be the first to demand for re-election,an American whose
organisation have participated in monitoring elections in Africa,Latin
America etc if he could say so ,why should we shy away from raising the
issues that we are raising ?just because we have a dictator back home.This
intellectual arrogance and short-sightedness might be the very dancing floor
that this fascist regime is waiting to do the last dance.Whether we as
observer raised our critical voice or not,Americans will do it and are doing
it,they know the history of their constitution and  under what circumstances
it was written,as some one was recently reminding me that the founding
fathers were slaves owners who also have to protect their future interest,no
wonder crisis are taking place in our generation under different
circumstances.

For Freedom
Saiks