GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Lamin Manneh PF <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 19 Feb 2000 19:20:15 PST
Ousman jallow Bojang, You've mentioned very good points concerning my
proposal to lunch an educational project to help the University of The
Gambia. Of course,transparency and accountability are great concerns for
many people. Most Gambians i talk to recently have already encountered bad
experiences participating  in such initiatives with other organizations .
They have also expressed the general lack of willingness by organizers to
complete the project after receiving lot of money from people. Hence the
misuse and disappearance of funds. Therefore a lot have welcomed the idea
with some reservations.

Personally, i think any venture whether profit or non profit should have a
solid and reliable control system that will safeguard its assets and enhance
a smooth and timely attainment of objectives. It should ensure compliance to
our financial procedures and policies. "Kay", are we just afraid to face the
challenges or just unable to come out with practical solutions? When we form
the The Gambia Association of Seattle, similar sentiments arose which really
helps us make
a very strong financial policy. For instance, to ensure responsibility of
any mismanagement of funds,only the president is allowed to  authorize
payments. We also have among other things, a bi-monthly financial report,
Quarterly audit report and at every general meeting we pass our bank
statements around for every member to see. This really boost our image among
Gambian folks and now we are proud to have one of the most viable Gambian
organisation around Northwest.
Infact, the only reason  why i think Gambia L management should be involved
as a front runner is to ensure transparency.

I hope we come out with suggestions to make this project a reality.

Ous, Saul and Joe sorry for responding late and thanks for those valuable
inputs.
Happy independance.
Lamin PF Manneh