GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Yusupha Jow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Dec 1999 11:55:48 EST
Actually Modou, not to belabor the point, but I beg to differ on the
assertion that Amat's answer was right.  The concept was right, but the
process used to get the end result is questionable.  I think there was an
over simplification of the procedure because there are more variables
involved,

The reason I say this is because first thing you want to think about would be
how many different ways 13 people can share 12 months.  The answer to this
question is 13!.

Then the next thing you want to think about is how many  ways one can select
a team of two out of 13 people.  The answer to that is 78 as Amat pointed out.

Since only two people were sharing the same birthday, everyone else would
have to be assigned a different month.  In other words, a team of two would
take up one month and the rest would alll take one month.  This because there
is only one instance of sharing in each scenario. Therefore, one would have
to use a multiple of  12 for the no of months in a year  and the  also a
multiple of the no of ways 11 people could be arranged  in 11 months with no
sharing.

Therefore the answer would be;

{ (no of ways to select two people out of a group of 13) / (no of ways for 13
people to share 12 months)} *  (no of months in year)* (no of ways you can
assign 11 people  11 months with no sharing of  months)

= 6/13

ps: my approach to the problem could be warped.