GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Daddy Nying <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Feb 2001 15:42:34 -0000
Prince,

I am sorry but I am not Daddy Nying and I don't know that song but it sounds
nice. Unfortunately I cannot explain how Kebba Jobe was transformed into
Daddy Nying.

You wrote "I must first of all say that I used to know one Daddy Nying whom
we used to sing a song for that goes: "Daddy le we pick am, en was am,we eat
am......". If you happen to be that Daddy Nying, then consider this piece as
not sent." Let me say I am very baffled by it.

Thanks for enlightening about what the Gambia-L forum is and is not.

Now to the issues I wrote about earlier.
You said "It is the very custom of people of your caliber to highlight the
lofty project that the Gambia Government is engaged in forget the plight of
the people in the gutter. In your piece you did not mention anything about
the ordinary man. All you talk about are some lofty project, which have
nothing to do with the average Gambian."

I think either you totally missed the point or I did not make myself very
clear. You see, when I talk about agriculture, education, health, roads and
bridges, these are issues that are crucial to the lives of the ordinary
people of this country.

You said "The use of the sunday afternoon programme is now being made an
evidence of the government's  good intensions towards the media. When few
months ago this very radio station was a target of a dastardly arson attack,
which many people placed at the doorstep of Yaya Jammeh and his hooligans.
The mention of Jawara in this segment goes also to allege that most of us
who oppose the Jammeh's demonic regime are all pro-Jawara. Why do
intelligent people like you always bring up Jawara when we discuss
shortcomings of the Jammeh regime? As far as I am personally concerned, Sir
Dawda Kairab Jawara is a "past participle" in Gambian affairs". Again I
think you may have misunderstood me. What I meant concerning the radio show
was that nowadays the regime is more accomodating to diverse opinions than
ever before. As for the arson attack on the radio, this was condemned by all
and sundry. I personally abhor such acts as they can be very dangerous and
often poor innocent people can be caught in it. Let me make it clear at this
stage that anything I post on forum concerning the government means exactly
that i.e the entire government and not Yahya Jammeh, the president. When I
wrote "the Jawara era", I meant his various governments and not him
personally. I have a lot of respect for the old man and knowing were he came
from, his achievements both personally and for the nation, any fair minded
person should be impressed. However as far as I am concerned, it is a bit
early to make a very fair comparison between Yahya Jammeh and Sir D.K.
Jawara and I hold the same opinion about comparing their governments. I am
sure you will agree with me when I say that it will be very difficult for us
to discuss issues concerning our dear country and our lives and aspirations
without referring to Yahya Jammeh or Sir D.K. Jawara as individuals or their
governments.

On the issue of the 150 recent graduands of the university of The Gambia, it
was to give some insight as to what such a trend could do for the country.
It will be most unfair of me or even naive to give credit of their success
to any one else but themselves. I merely wanted to highlight government's
role as the facilitator.

For the nonpayment of teachers wages, I know very little of that and I will
be very disturbed to hear that the government has difficulty paying the
wages of its staff when the president is consistently being reported as
personally donating various sums of money and vehicles.

For The Gambia to develop, I think you will agree with that the development
of its human resource base is an absolute. Therefore the building of schools
and supply of computers can be very useful. As for reliable electricity
supply, I did not mention it in my post but it was announced some weeks ago
that government had secured a big loan for rural electrification. It was
also announced recently that the Taiwanese government was to help in the
energy sector.

On the issue of First Lady, Zainab, going to have her baby in the US instead
of The Gambia, I think it was a personal issue. However I personally think
that it was a most inappropriate thing to do. My reason is very simple. The
President is the number citizen of the country and as such he should have
been the first to discourage this practice if he really believed in his own
government's Vission 2020 document.

"Bordofelt". I believe you meant "Board of Health" which our uneducated
forebearers could not pronounce correctly. This you know is not the same as
"Medicine" or "Health" act.

For the electrification of 98% of the country by July, let's wait and see.
Personally, I think it's a big Dream.

Finally you wrote "Daddy, in your balance sheet of Jammeh's achievements,
you failed to address issues that worrying people, namely: ...". Well am
sorry my intention was to share information about recent developments in our
country as I have witness from my own humble opinion and not to catalogue
all the alledged misdeeds of the government. I am of the opinion that a lot
has already been said about them and will continue to be so for a long time
to come. If, however  you want to know my opinion about them, that's simple.
I condemn all forms of:
1. INTIMIDATION.
2. VIOLATION OF PEOPLE'S HUMAN RIGHTS.
3. MURDER MOST FOUL.
4. ARBITRARY ARREST.
5. UNWARRANTED,ILLEGAL, UNNECESSARY, etc,etc DETENSION.
6. CORRUPTION.
7. BAD LEGISLATION.
8. VIOLENCE

I hope this clarified a bit what I had intended.

Have good day and bye 4 Now.