GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Beran jeng <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Sep 2001 10:53:14 -0400
Ruling Party's Mobiliser Speaks

The Independent (Banjul)

September 7, 2001
Posted to the web September 7, 2001

Banjul, the Gambia

As the countdown to the much awaited October elections draws near, The
Independent caught up with a very busy Yankuba Touray, the National
Mobilizer of the ruling APRC and Secretary of State for Tourism recently and
he waxed eloquently on his party's preparedness for the D-Day. Excerpts:

On the coalition of opposition parties

The coalition is an absolute failure for the opposition and the impact on
the APRC is extremely positive; that is why we are assured of a landslide
victory in this 2001 presidential elections.

Infact, the coalition is just an added advantage to us. The lifting of
decree 89 gives us an added advantage over the opposition, as this is a
coalition with people who have wrecked this country.

On nation-wide opposition campaign

I am not scared. The APRC is a very organized political party; our people
are sensitized from the grassroots level such that they cannot be moved from
their stand. Furthermore, the APRC has been active in nation-wide
re-orientation programs for its public mobilization.

Strategies for public mobilization

Our strategy speak for itself , which differs from our opposition who are
now committing political suicide by being in a coalition with the former
political propaganda activists on the same political platform. These are the
same people who exploited the economic interest of our dear country for
thirty years.

On NCP out of coalition

I think this is due principally because of the fact that the NCP was always
fighting to reform the former regime (PPP). If they (NCP) realize that this
coalition is just calling for another PPP in the uniform of UDP, they will
decide to remain as NCP and be independent.

On alleged bribe of D3 million to NCP

I do not know anything about that. We did not give anything to NCP. Besides
they are an opposition party.

The on-the-spot counting

There is a misconception about counting ballots on the spot and a
centralized counting. The IEC only undertook the on-the-spot counting during
the Sami chieftaincy election, and the Kiang East and Central Baddibu
by-election respectively.

It was due to these three constituencies and besides, to provide the
security and logistics was easy for the government. The proposal to do the
same for the presidential elections requires logistics and security for 820
polling stations. This was considered after consultations with government
officials, national Security Council and the IEC, and it was seen as an
impossible exercise, taking into consideration the security and logistical
requirements. By and large the on-the-spot counting favours the APRC than
the opposition parties who are pushing for counting on the spot without
objective reasoning.

The Kiang East and Central Baddibu by-elections are a clear testimony to
this spot counting fact. The opposition has not provided any tangible
reasons for a departure from the thirty-year counting system, which has been
endorsed and acclaimed by the international community.

The system will be a significant example of democracy in Africa under the
keen supervision of the IEC and the various party agents.

Finally, I will like to urge the general public to rally behind the APRC and
its leadership for a sustained development and a better future.

Long live APRC, long live President Jammeh, and long live the Gambian
people.