GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Sanusi Owens <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Jan 2004 11:37:13 +0000
Tombong

Whilst I welcome his STANCE on declaration of ASSETS,
I am not too convinced with his sincerity. Remember
that during the Nomination for the Presidential
Elections, President Jammeh fail to declare the total
assets that he acquired since becoming PRESIDENT OF
THE GAMBIA. It was not till last November that he
informed the whole nation that it was he own YDE and
that he set up this company by using his own MONEY
Well the question one has to ask how can a President
earning a salary of less than D35,000 be able to
establish a company like YDE.

Secondly, I think President Jammeh should stop acting
as if we are still ruled by a de-jure MILITARY
COUNCIL. Operation No Compromise and other edicts
contravenes the basic tenets of a democratic society.
Laws have to be introduced in parliament first, before
a President can make any pronouncement which is
likelihood  to hinder an individual's human rights.
The business of Operation No Compromise is unlawful
since the President is applying a Militaritic approach
by ordering APRC thugs to enforce ORDERS which have
not stipulated in the law books.

Just a thought, no hard feelings

--- TOMBONG SAIDY <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

---------------------------------

Operation no Compromise has is taking a new dimension.
Yesterday, I was at the airport to welcome the
President from Guinea Conakry and during his usual
press conference, he revealed a new dimension of
Operation no Compromise.

 All public officers during his tenure (July 22nd 1994
to date) would have to justify where they got their
assets. He said, “from 1994 to date, every one must
explain how he got his assets. This is going to
complete my “Operation no Compromise”. If your
relative has built a mansion, tell him to work out how
he got it with justified documents or (he will) go to
jail.”

 All including myself will have to justify whatever
assets we have. This a welcome move, it will clear the
air and the real KAKATARs will be revealed. The truth
shall set us free. This will include all past and
present public officials.

The President has to be given credit for this bold
move. He is tackling corruption in his own style.

PEACE

Tombong Saidy

to the Gambia-L Web interfaceat:
http://maelstrom.stjohns.edu/archives/gambia-l.html~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~