GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Tue, 5 Feb 2002 13:59:31 EST
Listen to our own "highly qualified" new MP Fatou Jahumpa Ceesay try to
discourage debating in parliament.  And to think that some of us believe this
whole "interest of the nation" BS.  These people only care about their
interests.  In other words, a parliament completely dominated by their agenda
and nothing less even though we know that there are very few other parties in
the parliament.

FJC is a joke and she should accordingly shut up.  This shameful woman knows
nothing about parliamentary procedures yet she still spouts rubbish

The Assembly is not a constitutional university

The nominated National Assembly member, Honourable Mrs Fatoumatta Jahumpa
Ceesay, has urged members of the august body to make the new House an
institution with a difference, emphasising that such a forum should not be
manipulated by anyone to make a name for themselves. “We are going to make
this National Assembly, a National Assembly with a difference in
professionalism, in calibre, status and integrity.... We will not allow this
National Assembly to be used by any individual NAM to make a name,” she said,
adding that the House was for one to make sure that he/she was there “for the
interest, progress, and prosperity of the Gambian people,”.

Therefore, we will not allow it to be used as a constitutional university to
be debating on the constitution for hours. While the Gambian people in the
remote villages somewhere are suffering and want a water pump or solar
system, somebody is debating seven hours, talking about constitutionality in
the National Assembly,” FJC said. She said they would also use the might of
the majority in the interest of the Gambian people, especially the
under-privileged women and children.

Therefore, for anybody to think that you can come in and say I have come to
this Assembly to make a name for the international community to know me or
hear me, you are fooling yourself. We are going to make sure that it does not
happen and we will do it with dignity, integrity and maturity because after
all, we are all Gambians - brothers and sisters. We will make sure that we
are one family and work in the interest of the Gambian people,” FJC said. She
said people should however not see her as a gender activist in the house. “I
am going to be here as a Gambian and support both male and female because we
are partners in development,” she noted.

She thanked President Jammeh for nominating her, describing it “a privilege,”
 saying ... “this is not the chip of the block but the block itself because
my father was a Mayor of Banjul. I was also the first female deputy mayor of
Banjul. He was also in parliament and here again, I am also in the
parliament. So I think it is a challenge and I will take the challenge,” she
said. FJC expressed optimism that the new Assembly would be very interesting
and with a difference “because we have three opposition leaders.”