GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
ebrima ceesay <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Feb 2000 08:21:31 PST
Habib: It's a small world!! I do know your sister, Amira, and her good
husband Tamsir Jagne! In fact, I did interview her twice when she was
running an NGO, whose name, unfortunately, I now forgot. Anyway, thanks for
the confirmation.

Jabou: I really enjoyed the discussions on the above captioned subject. I
have always admired you - without even meeting you in person - and
certainly, the more I read you, the more my respect for you grows.

I have received a lot private e-mails myself, some even coming from some of
these "USA veterans", in which they told me how much they were also enjoying
the discussions.

Hopefully, when my work load diminishes a little bit, I'll work on a story
out of it, and then send it to the L and all the newspapers in the Gambia,
as well.

In fact, just yesterday, someone sent me, in private, more names of "USA
veterans", including Bai Matarr Drammeh, a Sheikh Mboob (a younger brother
of Saul Mboob of FAO), a Ransford Cline-Thomas, who I understand, had worked
at Radio Gambia and one Ida Ndure. I suspect this Ida Ndure should be the
one who was at Curriculum.

Another one told me that he and Baboucarr Mbye of Customs were together in
the US, many years ago. In the first place, I didn't even know that
Baboucarr Mbye of Customs was also in the US.

So the exercise, Jabou, has been a very useful one, and all of you need to
be commended for sharing those nice memories with us. I must also commend
one of you who mentioned/reminded me of Saihou Njie of Stanley Street, who
had worked as Photographer, if I remember well, with the then Senegambia Sun
newspaper, edited by Baboucarr Gaye.

Sidi: Regarding the proposed discussions on the state of the world economy
and Africa's role in it, I'll get the article I mentioned when the mid-term
holiday is over. Right now, my access to a free internet (laugh) is very
limited; but I'll soon write regularly once the vacation is over.

By the way, let me also take the opportunity to say to those who sent me
urgent private e-mails that I cannot reply them, as quickly as I had wanted,
because of the fact that I am presently on vacation. But I'll surely reply
all these private letters some time next week, by the grace of God.

Rene Badjan: Thanks for your useful comments on the Mazrui/Soyinka piece. I
must say that I also do read all your contributions and needless to say, I
have always found them quite pensive and instructive. You should keep it up
and write more if time permits you!

Our future, despite all the enormous hurdles that need to be crossed first,
certainly looks bright in my view. Africa's task ahead, to be realistic, is
immense and a challenging one for that matter, but it is "doable" or
achievable.

There will soon emerge, a new leadership in Africa that will confront the
Continent's many challenges headlong, and deliver the goods at long last! It
is going to be a long and vigorous struggle, but it is certainly doable.

I was in London the other day, and met, by chance, some young Gambians at a
friend's flat; and my world, come and listen to the brilliant ideas that
were coming from these young people who were in their late 18s and early
20s.

And another thing I have observed, nowadays, is that some of these young
Gambians, especially the women, are so articulate/eloquent that sometimes
you wouldn't even believe your ears when you hear them talk or address the
issues.

Some time ago, I met a young Gambian woman at Gatwick, who was, I believe, a
high school student in the Gambia as recent as 1993 or 1994. But when I met
her at Gatwick airport, and had a discussion with her, I couldn't believe my
ears, in terms of her maturity, clarity, eloquence, and, more importantly,
the very brilliant ideas that were coming from her. This person, I believe,
is one of Solo Darboe's daughters.

I was in fact obliged to ask her about her educational background, and she
said she had just completed a Master's degree in Economics or Financial
Management. That is not even the point, but I thought I should, nonetheless,
mention her educational background.

Anyway, having listened to her talk on the issues, and I can bet that she is
in her early 20s, I said to myself "yes, yes, Africa's future and that of
the Gambia in particular, is definitely going to be bright." Thanks to all
of you once again!!

Ebrima Ceesay