GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Fri, 10 Aug 2001 15:13:12 EDT
Yus,
       I am not calling for for a calculated unleashing of violence by anyone
especially not the beleaguered Gambian population who have been the only
victims of the terror directed by this regime. What I am saying is people in
large numbers would not settle for a furtherance of the misery associated
with this regime when they know they voted for change. Like you I am
singularly committed to a peaceful political process and that is why I have
affiliated myself with a party and try to do what I can to participate as a
citizen. If we agree that this is an incredibly destructive group of people
who have brought our nation close to ruin, what do you suggest we do if a
majority of the people are seemingly consigned to irrelevance by the refusal
of this government to lawfully conduct a poll? A right without a remedy is
not a right at all. If you believe that denying the people a free and fair
election is a grave violation, I don't know why you would find a legitimate
attempt by the people to uphold their verdict either troubling or a prelude
to danger. I agree with you that Kukoi engaged in a criminal and violent
undertaking primarily on his own behalf for reasons that had nothing to do
with the welfare of the majority of the Gambian people. I abhor violence
especially one driven by cruelty and selfishness. If despite all the evil
this government has done we as a nation cower down in fear of the same
government attacking us, then our constant call for freedom, justice and
democracy would ring hallow. Afterall even those governments and entities
that have stood by the Gambian people and ostracized this terrible regime
will not do the necessary and potentially risky job of upholding the people's
verdict. It has be us the people vested with the right and paramount interest
to validate our wishes. Like you, I have my entire family back there and I
sure don't wish them any danger. However neither them nor anyother Gambian
should forfeit their nation to Yahya and his group of thugs because
maintaining their dignity and standing up for their rights could entail the
state attacking them.
Karamba