GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Dampha Kebba <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 31 Oct 2000 12:46:36 EST
Thanks Beran for forwarding this. This is good advise from Juwara. Those
meek politicians that let Yaya ban them should have defied the ban a long
time ago. Instead of taking the government to court to try and prove a
negative, they should have simply engaged in political activities and see if
the government will take them to court. That is how you fight that piece of
legislative thrash that tried to ban politicians. That law is toilet paper
and should not endure in court. The politicians it affected should just go
ahead and participate in politics and see what is going to happen to them.
The government cannot use the decree to stop the politicians from
participating. Rather than taking the government to court and seeking a
declaration, the opposition politicians should make the government the
aggressor by forcing the government to take them to court and try and rely
on a clearly unconstitutional piece of garbage.
Am also glad that UDP is willing to hold the IEC partly responsible for what
is going to happen in the next elections. If Johnson is not up to the job,
he should resign now. This time around, even if Yaya puts a gun to his head,
he should not allow the military to rig the elections. The opposition should
put the IEC in between a rock and a hard place. If the IEC wants to play
ball with the military, the people should pounce on both the IEC and Yaya.
Under no circumstances should the opposition let Johnson impose on them the
ridiculous campaigning rules he is imposing on the contestants in the Sami
elections. We should continue to fight Yaya and his collaborators every step
of the way.
KB