GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Amadu Kabir Njie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Nov 2001 07:43:52 -0500
SOUTHERN REGION NEWS (Culled from Africast)

CD with Mandela's speeches released in South Africa

JOHANNESBURG, November 30 -- A compact disc featuring various speeches of
Nelson Mandela, South Africa's first black president, was launched here on
Thursday.

The CD -- titled "The Voice of Mandela" -- consists of famous speeches
Mandela made during the apartheid years and after his release from jail in
1990. It will be available in South African stores soon. The price of the
CD was not disclosed.

Among his words of wisdom is the speech he gave upon his release on
February 11, 1990 after spending 27 years in jail.

For the first time ever excerpts from the infamous Rivonia trial at which
Mandela was sentenced to imprisonment in 1964 can also be heard.

Former president FW de Klerk's speech unbanning the liberation movements
also appears.

Mandela said at the launch: "In the political tradition that I come from, a
public speech is the end product of the collective effort.

"The speeches in this collection should therefore be seen not as my voice
only, but that of the liberation movement, and as a reflection of the times
in which I lived."

The former president also paid homage to his peers, saying they had done a
better job and he was only known because of the AfricanNational Congress
(ANC)

"The ANC concentrated on promoting me and I am a better person because of
my party," he said.

Mandela said the speeches in the CD would educate young children about the
history of their country.

He said the CD "makes me feel 50 years younger than I am when I listen to
my different voices". - Xinhuanet