GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Dave Manneh <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 11 Dec 2001 00:39:58 -0000
Mr Ceesay,
No disrespect to you, the good doctor/nurse or the point newspaper, but I
can’t help but ask if a scientific study had been carried out
which brought the doctor to this conclusion. I hope this is not something he
thinks he knows authoritatively just by the mere fact of his work?

I think the stats is pretty high, and the chance of any country having 60%
of its people
plagued by mental illness, is quite extraordinary to say the least.

I know sometimes we have the knack of exaggerating things as Gambians, but
if he came to
this conclusion after a scientific research, then I apologise in advance,
until then, I think, this is just too
generalised and over sweeping. I have to say too, that the point newspaper
should have asked the doctor this
very questions, and if possible verify them by means of scientific research
documents, before going ahead to print this.

I hope to god that he/they are completely wrong, for god forbid if they aren
’t, then we are in serious trouble.

Good night

Dave