GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Fri, 7 Sep 2007 23:24:49 EDT
Issue No. 96/2007, 17 – 19 August  2007

Editorial
Sierra Leone Teaching Africa
The image of  Africa as a land of civil war where belligerents cut each other’
s ears, hands,  and feet is being rehabilitated by a nation which suffered
the worst atrocities  in the history of Africa’s conflicts.
The most striking development in Sierra  Leone’s election is its
participatory nature. The Independent Electoral  Commission is truly independent and is in
full control of the process. The  ruling party appears to be one of the
contestants.
The outgoing president  speaks more like an important umpire advising
everyone to listen to the dictate  of the Independent Electoral Commission.
The Chiefs also make public  declarations that they should not tell people
how to exercise their franchise;  that people should be allowed to make up their
minds without the influence of  the traditional or religious leaders and vote
freely. Nobody is heard promoting  tribe, religion or any form of
sectionalism. The youths are not talking about  the age of presidential candidates. They
talk about the need to have a leader  who will guarantee them jobs and social
amenities. The whole campaign was about  issues.
It is clear from this approach of politics that the people will  always
emerge as winners even if their candidate happened to fail to win.
In  short, when people cast their votes those who vote for the winner will
also  regret and turn to support the losers if their aspirations are betrayed by
the  person they supported.
This is why the integrity of the process is so  important. It enables people
to see their mistakes very quickly and rectify them  wherever the opportunity
avails itself.
What Sierra Leone is achieving that  few nations achieved is the power to
make people win or lose.
The people have  become more powerful than state power or wealth because the
vast majority are  refusing to be intimidated or induced by power or wealth.
This is the hall mark  of a mature democracy. When the people value their votes
more than silver or  gold, they become a truly sovereign people. The people
of Sierra Leone are  having a good start after the war. Ahmed Tijan Kabba can
easily continue to  prevail on the people not to be dragged into violence by
any leader by simply  saying: “If I can turn my back at greed for power for life
and be like any of my  opponents for years, why should helping someone to
take my place cost you your  life. This place belongs to no one. It is a place of
service. It belongs to all.  We should each know the extent and limit of our
power and exercise it within  those limits. All of us should submit to the
collective will. If it fails to  serve us, all of us will have opportunity again
to effect change. Let us guard  the institutions that enable you as a people
to control who governs you like the  apple of our eyes, irrespective of our
party affiliations. When that happens  leaders will only come and go but Sierra
Leone will remain triumphant and the  people redeemed forever from the tyranny
and omnipotence of leaders
Foroyaa  congratulates the people of Sierra Leone for defeating the politics
of  patronage. They have taught the lesson that the best fort developing
countries  have so far to put an end to self perpetrating rule is establishing a
two term  limit to the presidency.
In fact, the greatest obstacle to African unity are  regimes where leaders
equate the sovereignty of their countries with their aim  to be presidents for
life. Those who serve only two terms know that they have no  future in leading
their countries beyond the term set for them. Such leaders are  likely to
support the doctrine of collective sovereignty which federation  implies.

African Swine Fever Outbreak
Farmers Urged To Apply  Proper Measures
By Bubacarr K.Sowe
An outbreak of African swine fever has  hit the Gambia for the past two
months leading to the death of hundreds of pigs  in Lamin, Busumbala, Brikama,
Siffoe and other places. African swine fever is a  viral transboundary animal
disease that causes high mortality.
According to  Dr. Baboucarr Jaw, Director of Veterinary Services, it can
neither be prevented  medically nor can it be treated. “It has no treatment and
has no vaccine. It  causes high mortality ranging from 80 to 100 percent,” Dr.
Jaw said.
He  advised farmers to apply bio-security measures in order to make sure that
virus  does not come into contact with the non-infected animals. Dr. Jaw
warned that  farmers should restrict the movement of their pigs, avoid people
visiting their  pens and avoid using farm equipment or feeds that are infected.
“We also have  a surveillance system which consists of disease surveillance
officers as well as  farmers trained to recognize the early symptoms or signs
of the disease,” he  said. The Senior Veterinary officer also urged breeders to
properly dispose off  affected pigs by either burning or burying them deep in
between two layers of  white lime.
He added that pigeries that have been affected by the disease  should be
disinfected so that the place will be free from the virus.
Dr. Jaw  called on the pig breeders to collaborate with his department so
that the virus  would be stemmed out, and it is against this backdrop that they
have issued a  booklet and an audio tape in four local languages to equip
farmers with relevant  guidelines.
He revealed that they are working with the United Nation’s Food  and
Agriculture Organisation (FAO) to transform pig breeding in The Gambia from
subsistence husbandry to a semi-intensive or intensive system.
Veronic Saine,  President of The Gambia Pig Breeders Association (GPBA),
described the outbreak  as “serious”. She told Foroyaa that, in a particular area
in Lamin village  called Wayeto, about sixty farmers are affected.
Emmanuel Mendy, Secretary  General of GPBA, said it will not take more than
seven days for the disease to  clear a pen, stressing that hygienic measures
such as control movement, boiling  the feed for thirty minutes before feeding
the pigs and proper disposal of the  dead ones should be practised.
Mr. Mendy, who is also a veterinary officer  advised that the pork of the
affected animals should not be consumed, noting  that it is harmful. He said that
an outbreak of African swine fever last  occurred in the Gambia in 1999 to
2000, but if the disease is to be eradicated,  there should be a regional
approach since it is transboundary.
John Carlos,  Deputy Secretary General of GPBA, told Foroyaa that the
outbreak is bearing  serious losses of income to the breeders who depend on pigs to
feed families,  pay educational expenses, clothing and income.
Pa Manga, an executive member  of GPBA, said he has a farm that is free from
the virus in an affected  neighbourhood. Mr. Manga attributed this to the
hygienic measures he is applying  which he believes is the main factor that helps
in preventing his animals from  contracting the deadly virus. GPBA is also
appealing to organisations for  help.

P S Laments on Poor Performance of Students
By Modou  Jonga
Mr. Baboucarr Boye, Permanent Secretary at the Department of State for  Basic
and Secondary Education, has revealed that the poor performance of  students
in Lower, Upper and Senior Secondary Schools posed a serious block  towards
achieving relevant and quality education as envisaged by the Education
Department.
According to Mr. Boye, the problem in the education system is a  system wide
problem and not the making of a sector in the education system, in  order to
address such an apparent loophole in the educational system, Mr. Boye
suggested that a holistic and collective approach is needed by all sectors of  the
educational system.
The Permanent Secretary made these remarks recently  while delivering his
keynote address at the opening of a three-day workshop held  at the Regional
Education Directorate at Region II, Brikama.
The three day  workshop which was attended by regional Cluster monitors and
head teachers,  drawn from Lower, Upper and Senior Secondary of both public and
private schools,  centred on functional Internal Monitoring and Supervision
to improve learning in  schools.
Speaking further, Mr. Boye opined that, in order to halt the  alarming rate
of poor performance amongst students, a radical shift and a  collective focus
is required to remedy the current trend of students'  performance. “Empirical
and concrete evidence indicates that, on average, our  children that are going
up to Grade three cannot even identify the alphabets” he  said.
Mr. Boye observes that the construction of schools and high rate of
enrolment of students in schools cannot single handedly ensure quality  education, but
that what is also required is close monitoring of effective  teaching and
learning in schools.
In conclusion, Mr. Boye expressed hope that  with the collective
participation of all sectors in the educational system, the  current unwanted trend in the
system will be addressed.
Speaking earlier, the  Director of the Regional Education Directorate of
Region II, Madam Matty Boye  urged participants to efficiently assess the problems
and issues of the  education system in order to make it better, especially in
the Western Region.  She further urged the participants to make good use of
the  workshop.

David Colley’s Trial
Witness Says David Sent for  Generator
By Abdou Jeli Keita
As the ongoing criminal trial involving  David Colley former Director General
of Prisons continues at the Banjul  Magistrates Court, a prison officer told
the court in his testimony that David  Colley sent two officers to collect a
generator from Mile 2 Prison. Sergeant  Malang Manneh of prisons and major
crime unit police detective, Corporal Kujabi,  fifth and sixth prosecution
witnesses, respectively, were cross examined by  defence counsel Antouman Gaye.
Sergeant Manneh in his testimony said that on  22 September 2004, while he
was at the gate lodge of the Juvenile Wing at  Jeshwang, a vehicle drove in with
two officers (Haruna Jobe and Famara Sanneh).  He said, they then ordered his
junior, Jainaba Touray, to book their entry and  he then went out to confirm
about their mission.
He added that they told him  that David Colley sent them to collect a
generator; that he opened the carton to  confirm its content and which was a
generator. He said the colour of the  generator is red. He added that the two men left
with the generator.
Defence  Counsel Antouman Gaye; put it to the witness that the evidence
before the court  is that the present prison boss (Rose Klyn) sent Haruna Jobe to
collect the  generator while he was now informing the court that it was the
accused (David  Colley) who sent them to collect the generator. Counsel Gaye,
proceeded to ask  the witness as to which of the two pieces of evidence the court
should  recognise.
Prosecutor Touray argued that the evidence before the court does  not say
Rose Klyn sent for the collection of the generator but rather David  Colley.
Counsel Gaye, further asked the witness if he was aware that David  Colley
obtained the permission of the then Deputy Director Rose Klyn before  collecting
the generator. The witness said he was not aware.
Detective  Corporal Kujabi, attached to the major crime unit at police
headquarters, in his  testimony said that on the 25 June 2007, something transpired
between him and  the accused David Colley. On this said date, he was deployed
to the state  Central Prison, better known as Mile 2, for investigation. Upon
arrival at Mile  2, he said, he met David Colley, who was under detention and
interrogated him  about the alleged stolen generator. He added that, David
Colley admitted at one  time that the generator was donated to the Juvenile Wing
by the Social  Development Fund; that he was having a wedding ceremony and he
borrowed the  generator from his Deputy for that purpose. According to the
witness, David  Colley said the borrowed generator was given to him, that it
broke down on the  wedding day and he took it to a mechanic for repairs. The
witness, detective  Kujabi, said he asked David Colley to lead him to the mechanic
to recover the  generator. He said David Colley led him to the mechanic in Ebo
Town and the  generator was collected. He added that, on their way back to
Banjul, they passed  by Mile 2 to drop David Colley together with the generator.
He said, he asked  the Deputy to identify it and after doing so, the Deputy
said that it was not  the generator she gave to David Colley, arguing she gave
him a brand new  generator. He said, the Deputy Rose Klyn was asked to give a
supplementary  statement and the generator was transported to police
headquarters.
While  under cross-examination, the witness when asked by defence counsel if
he has  gone to Rose Klyn to verify the statement of the accused, he said he
did not,  because that was outside the instructions given to him. When asked by
the  defence counsel if he told the accused person his rights, the witness
said he  didn’t because, David Colley is a senior officer whom he assumed should
know his  rights more than he did. Defence counsel Antouman Gaye, at this
stage, put it to  the witness that he should be competent and compelling and
should he  deliberately refuse to answer his questions, he will order the
Magistrate to put  him under custody until he is in a position to answer his
questions. Defence  counsel Gaye added that, the case is a cat and mouse game, that the
witness  should be serious in answering his questions. Prosecutor Touray at
this juncture  informed the court that the case is in two folds and they are
almost finished  with the first part.
The trial is adjourned till 23 August 2007, for  continuation.

NAYAFS Fights Economic Conditionalities
By  Annia Gaye
The Director of NAYAF and Chairperson of the National Youth  Council, Mr.
Alagie Kebbeh, has said that the World Bank and IMF must stop  attaching harmful
economic conditions to their development finance in poor  countries. Mr.
Kebbeh was speaking at the sensitization workshop organised by  Global Call to
Action Against Poverty (GCAP) on the issue of IFIs held at Jarra  Jenoi in the
Lower River Region. He further said that the World Bank and IMF  attach economic
conditions to their Aid which would not determine developed  countries
ownership, but only delays aid flows and causes more harm than good in  the Fight
Against Poverty.
Mr. Kebbeh noted that GCAP is calling on the World  Bank to phase out
economic policy conditions and to fully implement its good  practice principles
around conditionalities. He further noted that the World  Bank and IMF should stop
imposing privatisation and trade liberalization through  its structural
adjustment conditions and also that they should limit their  target to countries
where macro economic stability is still an issue. He called  on the World Bank
and IMF to institute reform of their own governance structure  so as to run on a
more democratic and transparent basis.
Mr. Kebbeh stressed  that the executive board and governors of IMF and World
Bank do not give all  countries equal opportunities. In concluding, he said
the system, which was  designed during the colonial era and controlled by
developed country  governments, is inadequate and must be changed.

Baba Jobe Spotted  At Kanifing Court
By Fabakary B. Ceesay
Baba Jobe, the former majority  leader and National Assembly Member for Jarra
West under the APRC party, who is  now serving a nine (9) years prison term,
was on Tuesday 14 August, spotted at  the Kanifing Magistrates Court under the
escort of two prison wardens.
The  former APRC bigwig, dressed in prison uniform, came with two guards into
the  court room of Principal Magistrate Moses Richards and sat on the gallery
 section. Mr. Jobe who was apparently in an active mood, was seen smiling at
any  one whose eyes came into contact with his and was also waving and shaking
his  head to people he recognised. He was also seen calling for the attention
of  lawyer Antouman Gaye who was in the court. Mr. Jobe was later escorted
out of  the courtroom by one prison warden and taken back to Mile 2 prisons.
However,  the reasons for Mr. Jobe’s appearance at the Kanifing Magistrate Court
could not  be established by this reporter.
It could be recalled that Mr. Baba Jobe,  the erstwhile head of the then
Youth Development Enterprise (YDE) was sent to  jail on charges of economic crime.

Tabara Samba’s  Trial
Prosecution Closes Case
By Fabakary B. Ceesay
The prosecution in  the trial of Mrs. Tabara Samba has closed their case
before Magistrate Pa Harry  Jammeh of the Kanifing Magistrates’ Court on Thursday
16 August, as the  prosecution officer, Commissioner Burama Dibba, informed
the court.
The last  prosecution witness, Dr Abdoulie Alieu Ceesay of the Royal Victoria
Teaching  Hospital (RVTH), told the court that they did the post-mortem on
the deceased  Ebrima Nyan some time in March at the RVTH mortuary. According to
Dr Ceesay, the  cause of death of Mr. Ebrima Nyan was due to severe
dehydration and extensive  burns. He added that all the internal organs of Mr Nyan were
intact. He said a  report was prepared which he recognised in court.
During cross examination  by defence counsel Amie Joof Conteh, Dr. Ceesay
confirmed that he prepared the  report and that it was accurate. He said he did
not know the type of medication  Mr. Nyan was receiving when admitted at the
RVTH; that during the course of the  post-mortem he did not look into any other
cause of death of Mr. Nyan. Dr Cessay  added that he does not necessarily have
to cut and open the body of the decease  to examine inside and that it took
him minutes to examine the dead body. Doctor  Cessay finally told the court
that he has been in the medical field for thirty  two (32) years now.

MARRIAGE AND FAMILY
IS MONEY LIFE?
With  Amie Sillah
Part 6
Chaneh Goes To Hellen
Chaneh controlled the man’s  lust. She thought to herself. “I am winning the
lust game. Hellen is heavily  pregnant. She cannot compete me. Moreover I am
an expert in the game pregnant or  not pregnant I’ll always beat her. She is a
shy person, a ‘mugu’ (fool) too cold  to arouse the heat in Lang. Lang found
her a virgin. Lang is her only  experience. As for me I have experience with
all kinds of men. Lang has said it  I am his satan. I have to hurt Hellen.
Make her lose faith in Lang. If she  divorces him then I’ll marry Lang. He loves
me and he is now rich. My complaint  was poverty love. Lang can now give me
cash love plus real love. We are meant  for each other Hellen is an intruder.
She has to be chased out.” Chaneh decided  to visit Hellen. She verbally
attacked her. “Shameless fool! You snatch your  best friend’s lover! You are too
cold for Lang! Lang is mine! I’ll get him back!  Look at me my body is hot and
sensuous! That’s what Lang needs. Not your cold  swollen body! Pregnancy my
foot! Lang pity you, he does not love you. I promise  you I’ll get him back. Your
Uncle bought him with money. I’ll get him back with  love. Divorce Lang! Give
him back to me. He is mine. Act fast before it is too  late! It is pity he
feels for you not love! Trust me. I dumped him before but I  need him back!”
Defiantly and confidently, she walked away from Hellen. Hellen  was overwhelmed.
She could not verbally fight back Chaneh’s verbal assaults. She  cried and
waited for Lang’s explanation.
Hellen Confronts Her  Husband
Hellen confronted Lang and asked him to explain. “Have you anything  going
between you and Chaneh?  She confidently and defiantly said she will  get you
back. That she arouses your sensuality and so on so forth. What does she  mean?
Are you cheating on me?” Lang lied flatly. He pretended. “That beast is
lying. Don’t mind her. She is a loser. She betrayed me. Allah betrayed her. I’ll
never go back to her for what? You have given me everything. What do I need
from  Chaneh? She is lying she wants to spoil your heart; to split us so that
she can  have a chance with me.” Hellen was suspicious. She was not convinced. “
I am a  woman. Chaneh was talking with confidence. Something is cooking
around. I am  smelling foul play. My hands are clean. I have never cheated on you.
You are the  only man I know since you made me into a woman. I am faithful to
you. I’ll never  cheat on you. It is my honour as a woman. I respect myself
and my body. If you  do otherwise it will not be well with you. We have
travelled a long journey  together. I’ll not go there you know about it. Chaneh have
basked on my face  that she will get you back. It is up to you. I’ll not fight
to get you. I value  myself. But one thing is clear if you ever betray me. I’
ll die and my blood will  be on your hands.” “Chaneh is a lying beast. Don’t
mind her. She is devilish and  satanic. I love you darling. I’ll never betray
you.” He kissed Hellen’s  forehead.
Money for Shopping
Hellen asked him to give her D5, 000 (five  thousand dalasis) to shop for the
baby’s needs. Lang complained of bad business.  Their account is now a joint
one. “I’ll give you D3,000 (three thousand) that’s  what is available. I don’
t want to withdraw too much money. We have spent a lot  on custom dues to
disembark the used clothes consignment. Sorry for the  inconvenience darling. I’
ll make it up to you.” Hellen smiled. “It’s okay. I’ll  manage. Some
customers are yet to pay for their sewing. If they do, I’ll fill in  the gaps. Babies
clothes are expensive. I’ll buy cloth and sew for our baby but  the
accessories are expensive.” “I understand. You are a manager. I trust you  sweet heart.’
 Lang kissed her. Lang took (D5,000 (five thousand) to Chaneh.  Every week he
spent more than D5,000 (five thousand) on Chaneh’s excessive  demands. Lang
is now giving the fish money (Kopari Ndawal) in Chaneh’s home. The  parents
have turned coat. Lang is now the praised “Son-In-Law.” They welcomed  him
wholeheartedly to their home. But Lang is being discreet about it. He does  not
want Hellen to know about it. The lovers are now in full swing. Lang is  trapped
to Chaneh’s flesh. Chaneh being a Jezebel is overtaxing Lang in cash and  kind.
At The Render Vous
Lang gave Chaneh D5,000 (five thousand) cash. He  complained bitterly about
Chaneh’s trespass. He is very worried. “Why? Why  Chaneh? Why did you confront
Hellen and told her about us? Didn’t I told you not  to? You are putting me
into a difficult position. I am ashamed of my wife. She  has done a lot for me.
I love her very much. I followed you because of the  weakness of the flesh.
Leave my wife alone. Don’t break my marriage. You are not  a wife material you
know that.” “That is wrong. We are meant for each other.  I’ll marry you. I’
ll be a good wife. I don’t mind being a second wife.”  “Nonsense! I don’t
want to marry a second wife. Hellen is okay for me.” Lang  naively reasoned with
Chaneh to understand. Lang cannot have his cake and eat  it. He was dealing
with a serpent. Chaneh knew his weakness and was not ready to  let go. “Don’t
cross her path again.” Lang emphasised. “It is not easy to be the  woman
outside.” Chaneh complained. “Don’t bother her at all. She is a nice  woman. Don’
t bother her. I am rushing to town. People cannot see us together.”  She gave
her a hug. “Only a hug?” Chaneh asked. Then Lang kissed her and they  made
another date. Chaneh was contented.
The Confession
Lang is now in  deep shit as the American would say. He was torn between two
women, his noble  wife Hellen and his serpent Chaneh. He does not want to hurt
Hellen and at the  same time he is weak to let go his fun with Chaneh. He
confessed to his best  friend Ousman. “What! Are you mad? When did this start?” “
About three months! I  am dating Chaneh. We are having fun. Boy! She heats me
in bed.” “You are mad!”  Ousman exclaimed. “Chaneh is sweet poison!” “This
is lust not love.” Ousman went  on. “We have met several times in the bush.
If Hellen find out she will hate me  forever. I am confused Ousman. Please
advise me. I’ll abide by any advice you  give me.” Lang pleaded. “Love lifts you
up not pinned you down. I am warning you  as your best friend and confidante.
If you hurt Hellen stupid man. You’ll live  to regret it for life. Allah will
surely punish you!” Ousman advised. “What am I  doing? Hellen is carrying my
baby!” “Thank God you know that!” Ousman  chorused.
Failed Appointment
The talk with Ousman lifted up Lang’s spirit.  He resolved to let go Chaneh’
s sweet poison. Chaneh was expecting to see Lang at  their love nest but he
did not turn up. Chaneh was disappointed. She opted for  revenge.
Fulfilled Marriage
Lang turned a new leaf. He became the loving  role model husband again. He
devoted on his wife and her needs. Hellen became  fulfilled. There was no reason
to complain. They were having fun then Chaneh  appeared from the blue. Lang
was startled, surprised and he panicked. He showed  firmness in front of
Hellen. “Chaneh! Daughter of the devil! What are you doing  in my matrimonial home?
Are you mad you public bitch? A common harlot! Get out  of my house! My life!
I love my wife! She is my priceless jewel! You lost your  chance! You throw
away your luck! Now I am Hellen’s own. You were foolish and  she is wise. Chaneh
sparked. “Shameless dog! Do you think you can used and  dumped me? I arouse
your sensuality! I heat you up! You confessed it! What about  the quality time
we spent together since I divorced my husband and came to the  village?”
Chaneh exposed everything. Hellen became confused. She looked at Lang.  She asked
for an explanation. “My husband, this is a serious allegation. What  have you
to say?” Lang stammered. He had difficulty in explaining himself.  Hellen
exclaimed. “Then it is true? I am ashamed of you. All what Chaneh led you  through
you can still go back to her? Yes! She is right to call you a dog! I am
ashamed and disappointed. Chaneh turned her anger at Hellen. “It serve you  right.
You snatch your best pal’s man. He is not faithful to you. He has been
sleeping with me and I gave him the very best. You are cold in bed,  inexperienced
with your swollen belly. You cannot satisfy your man but I satisfy  his sexual
needs. Cry! Cry to death! You are a cry baby! I have taken back what  belongs
to me.” She turned to Lang. “You are bluffing! You cannot leave me. I am
your sweet poison. You will come back. You must marry me. I reactivate your
energy.” Chaneh spit at Lang then left. Lang was shamed to death. He could not
look into Hellen’s eyes.

FOCUS ON POLITICS
A CALL FOR THE  MINISTER OF FINANCE TO RESIGN AS EXPOSURE INTENSIFIES
With Suwaibou  Touray
We have been focusing in this column with the objective to recall the  past
in order to shape the future. Since politics is intricately woven with
economics, we also make a follow up of the economic situation at each given  period
to help readers conceptualize the reasons behind political actions. We  have
stopped where we quoted from the Worker Newspaper that only these practical
lessons such as the state of emergency could digest forever in the minds and
memories of The Gambian people, and awaken them to safeguard their lives and
liberty on a constant basis without let up.
Let us continue from where we  stopped.
By early 1985, the economic situation in The Gambia continued  to be
unfavourable to the people. This was compounded by the rumours of  corruption and the
slow and cunning introduction of the IMF inspired ‘Austerity  Measures’.
For The Gambia to implement the IMF programmes, the IMF must  monitor the
country’s performance. This was why the IMF adviced the Government  to bring in
external auditors to audit the GCDB and other parastatals. In issue  no.94, we
have shown some of the revelations that emerged out of the auditor’s  reports
on the GCDB.
The publications of these blatant findings made the  GCDB’s Managing
Director, Mr. Housainou Momodou Musa Njie, to desperately resort  to court and sued
the publisher of the Torch Newspaper for Libel and other  claims.
Instead of deterring the Torch in their work, the paper infact not  only
intensified exposures of their findings but also attacked the then Minister  of
Finance, Mr. Sheriff S. Sisay and blamed him for the banks’ failure.
But  while this scandal of the banks’ mismanagement became the headline in
all the  privately owned media in the country, the national media, particularly,
Radio  Gambia, came up with another bad news for the populace by announcing
the  introduction of registration fee for medical care throughout the country.
This  was the first time a fee was being levied for registration at the
medical  centres. To register at the RVH, one must pay D1, Bansang 5o bututs, Health
 Centres, 50 bututs, Dispensaries 50 bututs, sub-dispensaries, 50 bututs.
In  these charges, prescribed medicine was inclusive. According to the
permanent  secretary at the then Ministry of Health, no additional payments were to
be  done. He added that this modest charge was to help improve services.
By 1  March 1985, the Torch came out with an editorial calling on the
Minister of  Finance to resign. Their reason, they said, was that the minister lied
to the  parliament in 1983, in his summary of The Gambia Commercial and
Development  Bank’s accounts. They asserted that this lie, like all lies, is harmful
to the  public interest and has contributed in misleading international
economic opinion  in the performance of The Gambian economy.
The Torch reported that the  minister told parliament that, at end June 1982,
the GCDB realised an operating  profit of D448, 268 compared to D140, 796 for
1981, indicating an increase in  profit by 218.38% percent. The Torch argued
that this was a lie in parliament by  the Honourable Minister of Finance,
Sheriff.S Sisay, on 1 July  1983.
According to the Torch, the Bank infact made an operating loss, at the
material date, of D671, 731; that the auditors kept quiet. They said Auther  Young
Cassleton Elliot and Co. Chartered Accountants increased their audit fees  to
D84, 800 from D57, 750, by over 47% increase in fees in one year. They argued
that this was why the GCDB had not complied with the law and continued to
ignore  to publish their audited accounts for public scrutiny.
The Torch maintained  that GCDB could not pay dividend to its share holders
which stood at an  outstanding amount of D290, 000. They also said a
corporation taxation of D165,  616 was appropriated but remained unpaid since 1975 to
1983. They said this was  a liability to the Central Bank.
At this stage, the head of the IMF mission  to The Gambia suggested the
closure of the Agricultural Development Bank because  of the belief that Gambia is
too small to operate two parastatal banks in the  country. The Torch argued
that that was an incorrect picture of parastatal banks  in this country. They
said this harmful and misinformed opinion shall have the  consequences of
leading to more lies of a Sahel drought, real hunger, real  poverty and actual
continued national embarrassment. The Torch editorial  insisted that the
implications of this fiasco, went beyond a minister of Finance  because, as they argued,
no reputable business can trade with a country whose  institutions lie and
conspire to lie to parliament and to the country about the  true state of
affairs. The Torch insinuated that when the national reputation is  undermined, the
country shall begin to pay for material goods at prices through  the roof and
through our noses. They said it has just begun with takeovers and
distortions, all veiled in the best and reasoned state lines, embracing  influences on
our policies, the international lending banks, and a price this  country cannot
afford to pay.
The paper blamed the minister and insisted that  he resigned. They said he
should have known better how well the GCDB fared,  since he was a Governor of
the Central Bank for five years, he knew about some  Bank examiners’ reports.
The Torch called on the president to enforce the law  which says any person
in any return, report, certificate, balance sheet, or  other document, wilfully
makes a statement, false in any material, particular,  knowing it to be
false, he/she shall be guilty of an offence and shall be liable  on conviction etc.
The paper accused the GCDB management for not supplying  its liquid assets
statement to the Central Bank of The Gambia, when they must do  that with each
30 days; that they had not reported “Required reserved position,”  since
November 1984, when they must do that in each 14 days; that since 1982,  their
reserves with the Central Bank have fluctuated between 7% and 18%, never  reaching
20% when they must be 30% of their liquid assets.
It has also been  reported that the GCDB since April 1985, had withdrawn
their current account  with the Central Bank by over D15 million dalasis.
The paper also blamed the  Central Bank that for three straight years it has
not enforced the law to  protect the GCDB from collapse; that the Central Bank
has not been prudent; that  the management of both banks were fit only for
backward barter; that “They were  in the wrong business. “They opined that the
state of the GCDB, infact, demanded  that it be shut down; that it
tantamounted to what it called pouring bad wine  into glossy bottles.
The Torch finally called on ‘the PPP controlled  Parliament to act swiftly
before we realize together that the tyranny of the  lunatic pretensions of
feudal monarchs are quite mild especially when put  against the quite rational
tyranny of feudal backwardness itself.’ They  concluded that only the truth can
save us all.
After these intense exposure  against both the management of The Gambia
Commercial Bank and the minister of  Finance, the rumour was abound that Mr.
Housainou Momodou Musa Njie has retired  from the service of The Gambia Commercial
and Development Bank.
According to  the Torch, at this juncture, Mr. Njie refused to comment as
well as other bank  officials. The permanent secretary also did not say anything
conclusive on the  matter and the minister could not be reached.
On the political front, the  Torch editorial observed that, “When a political
party in an under-developed  country, maintains itself in power for 20
straight years, it does not deserve to  be congratulated. They opined that the
likelihood is that the party gains more  than the country does, and in that
respect, it is fed by a spate of general  ostentatious acquisitions, lust, the
preponderance of authority on the one hand  and powerlessness, disappointment,
ill-health on the other, amongst separate  population.’
The PPP, they observed, controls, manipulates, and reinforces  the existing
traditional structures at the local level to contain potential  rivalry and
kills off valuable human material for national office; that, in  short, the PPP
appropriates power and ensures a condition of virtual one-party  dominance.
The editorial did not spare the elites who it described as often  “run-off
the mill intellectuals,” who they understood to be generally baffled by  this
kind of situation.

SK East: Juventus Knock United  Stars
By Isatou Bittaye
Juventus FC trashed United Stars by three clear  goals on Wednesday in the
ongoing Serrekunda East Nawettan.
The match started  mildly as both teams struggled to overcome the other. But
it was Juventus who  broke the deadlock in the 36th minute through Buba
Sanyang. United Stars  responded in a bid to restore them selves back into the game
in the process  squandering lot of chances.
And as United Stars were hoping for their all  important equalizer, Sarja
Jardusey struck again for Juventus just before the  break making maters more
difficult for United. And as if to announce to United  that their intention is for
a real killing, Jarjusey struck back sixteen minutes  into the second half to
put the game beyond their reach.