GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Hamadi Banna <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Jun 2001 17:06:32 -0500
KB, I just need to clarify here that I was referring to Wal Fadjri in
particular. My observations are on the paper's habit of whipping up
nationalist sentiments during similar crises, which I think does not help in
resolving such situations.

I'm sure if the Senegalese government were to take most of the things Wal
Fadjri has printed in the past at face value, Senegal would have been locked
in an ugly conflict with one of its neighbors.  Just as I would not hesitate
to condemn President Jammeh and his goverment for any actions that run
counter to our national interest, I don't think the divisive slant of Wal
Fadjri should be emulated or condoned.

Just my personal observations of the paper's style over the last decade or
so.

Hamadi.