GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Deyda Hydara <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Jan 2002 18:19:57 +0000
Good Day Gassama,

Let us look at the questions you asked.
You are right, in the Magazine category, in addition to The Spectator, we
have Tourism Concern and Sheriff Bojang recently published the second
edition of his coloured magazine Xpress.
On Decree 70/71, we recalled that it was Decree 70 that was first conceived
and promulgated. But the government realised that due to some kind of
precipitation, the people it was meant for were completely forgotten: there
was nothing ordering newspapers to re-register. So, bringing in Decree 71,
which clearly did the job, rectified the shot. It specifically ordered all
existing newspapers to re-register and in addition it multiplied the bond by
100. During the colonial period the bond was pegged at 100 Pounds; at
independence that amount was converted to D1000.
The decree also provides for fines not less than D10, 000 and not more than
D50, 000.
And the court empowers by the decree to close down a newspaper in addition
to the fine imposed on it for contravening the provisions of the principal
Act meaning the original Act.
You seem to think my narration strengthened your point. Now one cannot
equate the two situations of the media for the simple reason that the First
Republic, as seen in my last take, favoured the due process of the law  in
most cases rather than the harassment, detention etc. etc. we are accustomed
to under the transition and the Second Republic.
I must hasten to add that we would have preferred that we go to court as it
was the case with Halifa Sallah, Sam Sarr and Sidia Jatta for Foroyaa in
1994 and later with Pap Saine (your father-law?) Alieu Badara Sowe and
Ebrima Ernest for The Point, in 1995.
All the above people won their cases against the state.
I do not think Kukoi used late Femi Jeng and this is the first time I am
hearing this. All I know is that late Femi, Oko Drameh, late Nyanga Sallah
and others were locked up in a crowded cell. Femi, Nyanga and others lost
their life due to suffication. Oko survived the ordeal.
On taxes, you are talking about newspapers in UK and France publishing on a
daily basis over 1 million copies which are sold in addition to hundreds of
thousands of Pounds derived from advertising on a daily basis. Senegal is a
developing country and provides D100, 000 to sustain the media houses to do
their social responsibility role. We do it here for nothing.
In the First Republic, don't forget that in Parliament, newspapers were
accused of harboring a hidden agenda but we were not harassed nor detained.
I hope I have answered to your questions.
Good Day