GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
saul khan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 5 Feb 2000 20:54:48 GMT
Latjor,

Believe me, we share the same sentiments regarding our intellectuals, and
how we ought to treat them. And you have perfectly dissected the various
intellectual disciplines, and why some are more popular than others. Exactly
what I tell anyone who cares to listen. I hope those who trumpet the names
of some, while ignoring others, will heed your points. Someone stepped on my
toes by insulting our intellectuals some months ago. I don't think he'll do
that again.

However, I don't sense that "ignorance" jibe/pot shot in Haruna's piece. I
may be wrong, but normally my "antenna" picks up such things quickly and
from afar. And not to brag, but if there is anything I'm good at, it's rapid
reaction. If Haruna was coming from the angle you seem to think he is, I
would have been all over him before you did. But, it's not just there
(mockery, malice or ignorance.)

We are still a nation of villages. More Gambians live in our villages than
towns. And the sad reality is that, not much has changed in our villages the
last thirty years. Many of us who were born in a village, or lived in one
can attest to this fact. And unless we change that reality, we'll never
realize our dream of developing our nation. In other words, until the Alkalo
in every village in our country is skilled/literate, we're won't hit that
promised land.

Now given all these facts, Haruna's provocative questions are very apt -in
my view. No one need answer them at all. But, as long as we all start
thinking about, or asking ourselves those same questions, we're sure to make
head way. Why? Because identifying your problem, is as good as solving it
half way. Yes, Gambian intellectuals are trying very hard, and helping. And
continue to make a difference, though fools miss that. But, a lot more
remains to be done. "How can I help the Gambia, so that that help will
impact the life of Pateh in Sara Soffeh, or Modou Kulay in Balangharr"
should be a question that every Gambian intellectual ought to be asking
himself/herself.

So, I believe your apology is appropriate. We are on the same side, but
you've got this one wrong. I fully endorse Haruna's questions. Just my
interpretation.

Saul.