GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
saul khan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 May 2000 18:56:05 GMT
State of the Nation Address

Fellow South Africans:

During the recent past our news has been dominated by events in the
neighbouring state of Zimbabwe. Some among us have been making demands for
me as the President of the Republic to speak out on these events.

At the end of our meeting with President Mugabe at Victoria Falls on Good
Friday, April 21st, I, together with Presidents Chissano and Nujoma,
addressed the media on the outcome of our discussions. Representatives of
our own media were present at this press conference.

Unfortunately, for reasons I do not know, much of what we said at that press
conference was not reported to our people and the world. I addressed these
issues again on the 25th of April at the 10th Congress of the National Union
of Mineworkers, once more in the presence of representatives of members of
our media.

Yet again, for reasons I do not know, much of what we said was not reported
to our people.

I addressed this matter for the third time on May Day when I spoke to a
group of business people in the Eastern Region of the North West Province.

This time, more was reported of what we were repeating publicly for the
third time.

Today I would like to speak to you directly on the Zimbabwe and other
African questions further to clarify the positions of our Government.

As within our own country, the Africa policy of our Government is centred on
the pursuit of the fundamental objective of securing a better life for all
and building caring societies.

I would like to give you a few examples of some of the things we, as South
Africans, have done to promote the achievement of these goals.

In May 1996 a big Tanzanian ferry sank in Lake Victoria with the loss of
about 900 lives. We responded to the appeal of the Government of Tanzania to
help in the recovery of the bodies in the Lake by sending members of the
South African Navy to carry out this difficult work.

I am proud to say that our sailors carried out this work successfully,
displaying great dedication and courage. As a result, many Tanzanian
families were able to bury their dead with dignity, as well as observe the
funeral rites that are fundamental to their culture and the integrity of
their society. Following this tragedy, in 1998 very destructive floods
caused by the El Nino effect, hit Tanzania.

Once again, we responded to the appeal of the Tanzanian Government for help.
Our Air Force moved the materials Tanzania needed to restore its transport
infrastructure.

It also transported the President of Tanzania, H.E. Mr Ben Mkapa, to various
parts of his country to enable him personally to supervise the delivery of
relief to the stricken communities in his country.

President Mkapa formally commended our airmen and women for the work they
did, during which, according to him, they treated the Tanzanian people as
though they were their own fellow nationals. We are all familiar with the
outstanding work which, once again, our airmen and women, the Medical Health
Service of the National Defence Force and South African civilian volunteers
did at the height of the Mozambique floods.

During this urgent but difficult operation, we rescued over 15 000 people
and ensured the immediate supply of food and other materials to those
affected.

Recognising the fact that we too had suffered from floods and lost lives,
H.E. President Chissano of Mozambique spoke of us, South Africans, as people
who had shed tears for his people, while bearing our own pain in dignified
silence.

Earlier this year, we received an urgent request from the Government of
Ethiopia to send a contingent of fire fighters because for three weeks, the
Ethiopians had not succeeded to supress an extremely destructive fire that
was destroying large agricultural areas and was threatening a unique nature
reserve. Once again, a group of our compatriots had to leave our shores to
help defend an African country and people that were already victim to a
terrible drought.

As you and we would expect of them, our fire fighters, working with their
Ethiopian brothers and sisters, conquered this natural disaster and helped
the Ethiopian people to build their own capacity succesfully to handle such
emergencies in future.

Last year we had to bid a sad farewell to members of the South African Army,
the Pride of Lions, who laid down their lives in Lesotho in defence of
democracy, peace and stability in that country.

At the end of last year, at the request of the Mozambican Government, our
Air Force had to deploy a contingent in that country, this time to assist in
the delivery of ballot papers during the General Elections, focussing on the
most inaccessible areas.

By this means, we contributed to ensuring a successful democratic process,
certified by SADC and the highest judicial authirities in Mozambique as
having been truly democratic.

These examples, and others we can cite, such as those of our business people
who are active throughout Africa and our universities and technikons which
host a significant number of African students, should suffice to demonstrate
what we mean when we speak of an Africa policy focussed on the objective of
helping to secure a better life for all. This same objective informs our
approach towards curent events in Zimbabwe.

In 1998, with President Mandela's authorisation and President Mugabe's
agreement, I approached the British Prime Minister, the Rt Hon Tony Blair.
The purpose of this approach was to request that her Majesty's Government,
and other countries, should contribute funds to enable the Government of
Zimbabwe to address the colonial legacy of the land dispossession of the
indigenous black majority. Prime Minister Blair agreed to this and persuaded
other Governments and international organisations to join in this effort.
These donors met together with the Government of Zimbabwe during the same
year, 1998, and agreed on various measures to solve the Zimbabwe land
question.

For various reasons things did not proceed as had been agreed. Consequently,
the land question, a direct product of the colonisation of Zimbabwe,
essentially and substantially, remained still to be addressed. The results
of the failure to deal with this matter in the manner agreed in 1998 is what
has led to the events which, as we have said, have dominated our media in
the recent period.

To address both the fundamental and central land question, which has to be
solved, and the consequences that have derived from the failure to find this
solution, we have been in contact with both the Zimbabwe and the British
Governments.

This contact sought to achieve a number of objectives. These are:

1: to get a common commitment to solve the Zimbabwe land question, according
to the framework and programme agreed at the 1998 Conference and thus,
simultaneously, to speak to such questions as the rule of law;

2: to end the violence that has attended the effort to find this solution;

3: to create the conditions for the withdrawal from the farms they have
occupied of the demonstrating war veterans; and,

4: to pursue these issues in a manner that would be beneficial for all the
people of Zimbabwe and the rest of Southern Africa. As we informed the media
at Victoria Falls on Good Friday and other occasions since then, President
Mugabe fully supported these objectives.

Accordingly, we were very pleased to note that at the end of their meeting
in London last week, coincidentally on our Freedom Day, the Zimbabwe and
British Ministers among other things:

confirmed the importance and urgency of land reform in Zimbabwe; and,
recommitted themselves to the implementation of the communique agreed at the
1998 international Donors Conference on Land Reform and Resettlement.
Further:

the UK reiterated its willingness to help fund a fair land reform programme,
while stressing, in this context, the need to end violence and the
occupation of the farms.
For its part, among other things, the Zimbabwe delegation:

informed the UK delegation that it is the intention of the Government of
Zimbabwe to hold free and fair general elections as soon as the Delimitation
Commission has conclucded its report.
We are firmly committed to support and promote to the best of our ability
the positive results that were achieved at both the Victoria Falls and
London meetings, as are the rest of our region and Continent. In this
context, I would like to extend our sincere thanks to our own former South
African Agricultural Union, and others of our compatriots, for the
enormously valuable contribution they have made and are making to help
resolve the land question in Zimbabwe.

It is to us a matter of great pride that these South Africans, conscious of
our common responsibility to contribute what we can to help ensure a better
life for all in our country, region and Continent, have resisted the
temptation to assume a counter-productive, holier-than-thou attitude. By
this means, they have also contributed to the fight against the michievous
effort to create and feed a psychosis of fear in our own country, based on
nothing else but racist prejudices, assumptions and objectives.

This they have done while recognising the challenges we face with regard to
the land question in our own country as well as the troubled human and
labour relations on some of our commercial farms.

Together with them, our Government will work persistently and without making
the noise of empty drums, to help the sister people of Zimbabwe to find a
just and lasting solution to the real and pressing land question in their
country.

Fellow South Africans:

Our Government has also made a commitment to provide a contingent from our
National Defence Force to join the monitors that will be sent by the United
Nations and the OAU to the Democratic Republic of Congo.

We have taken this step because as a Government and a people we see it as a
human imperative that this strategically important country of Africa, the
country of Patrice Lumumba, should, like ourselves and in the common
interest, enjoy conditions of:

peace;
democracy;
national sovereignty and territorial integrity;
social and economic progress.
We are convinced that, once more, the officers, men and women who constitute
our National Defence Force will discharge their responsibility in Congo in a
manner consistent with the vision the majority of us share. This is the
vision of a South Africa, a Southern Africa and Africa that, during the
African Century, must stand out for their dedication to the objective of the
creation of a caring society.

I appeal to you all that, as before, we strive to work together to help find
the correct solutions to the issues that have arise in Zimbabwe and Congo.

As before, we must do this without arrogance, without seeking to impose
ourselves on anybody and without the intoxication of the delusion of the
exercise of power we neither have nor desire.

We must do what we have to, with the courage, the tenacity, the humanity and
the humility which belong to those who, like you, genuinely believe that
they are their brother's and their sister's keeper. On this occasion I would
like to extend our sympathies to the families of Callie and Monique Strydom
and to say to them that our government is working very hard together with
the government of the Philippines and other governments to make sure that
Callie and Monique are rescued from the situation where they are being held
hostage. I am convinced that we will succeed.

I thank you for your attention.