GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Alhassan Sisay <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Dec 2005 09:43:42 -0800
        Ours is different in this case because of the following reasons.One, The Gambia has a center that has been identified as a place where advanced studies,research and other related methods have taken place ie THE MRC-Medical Research Council when it comes to the fight against malaria. This center was establish during the former government and is still there. This is an Independent arm of the government in one way(based on administrative procedures) and in the other way it is working directly with gov officials along those lines as far exhanging data and professional concerns is what we are after here.
  Last year we remember when the US government approved a project on the fight against malaria,where The Gambia's name was mentioned directly.One of the criteria was for the funds to be managed through UK.Well the research is being done in Banjul,therefore why is Banjul being distrusted when the activities are geared towards helping its people and others around the world? Ofcourse it is a disgrace when others can care for our people more than we do and then back it with facts! Responsibility is deeper than making empty noise and that is what has been taking place as far the actual fight against malaria is concerned.The archives of news papers have stratified layers where The government back home has repeatedly tried to take credit on the fight against malaria.This is not some'n critics cooked up,it is right there in the Gambia filed or archived.Thirdly where other parts of the world are affected should not also be scale to measure whether Jammeh's feet should be soaked by this wave
 of criticism or not.The Gambia's case in the fight against malaria has taken a significant position through the thanks to the MRC but not Jammeh and co.But when there is achievement the gov keeps on ringing the bells as if the MRC is dead wood.When we all know who is who in this sacred process.
  We know staff at the MRC who have been and are still being frustrated by the local authorities back home(no need to expose their names on line).
  The disgrace here is that researchers can only recommend for the executive to impliment but cannot force them to adopt the outcome per se.If the local authorities heeded professional advice things might have been different by now.
  The other disgrace is that,we all remember when the Senegalese government decided to abandon the use of Chroloquine etc following facts from research units revealing that, the tablet was no longer strong enough to kill the malaria parasite.Let alone fighting against the deadly celebral malaria.This is where the disgrace lies sister Ginny.Ulitimately the WHO has been recommending a lot of things for countries like ours but do we ever budge? Many a times the gov would embark on selling the idea lack of funds? Lack of funds to sponsor projects that are health related where we can sit around observing dancers from Mali being entertained at the expence of tax payers money? This is where the disgrace is SIster.As far those traveling are concerned that is some of them might have come with it before reaching Banjul??? I think there you missed some'n.Look at the origina of the traveler? Is malaria prevalent in UK? Also look at the title of the paper.It has exonerated the UK after
 all....Indeed the writer is targeting the destination but not the place those being warned are coming from.
  To close I would directly and unequivocally challenge the government to relay here or else where why a project CALLED THE MOBILE UNIT TO FIGHT MALARIA failed? So sister I am coming from a concrete perspective,no personal feelings against Jammeh everything is backed with existing data.That apart not all those countries listed in the release have access to soft loans from Taiwan towards the health sector.
  I am glad that you asked because no one idea can advance a country by itself,your question was genuine.I hope I have tried my best to help clarify what I meant by the word disgrace???
  I will be more than ready to help clarify more along the way.

Ginny Quick <[log in to unmask]> wrote:   Could you please elaborate on how this is a national disgrace? The
article seems to be suggesting that proper health precautions were not
followed, which led to the illnesses / some deaths of the travelers.
The risk to travelers of Marlia is well-known, how can this be blamed
on Jammeh?

Maybe lack of marlai control or prevention strategies might be
able to be blamed on Jammeh, but why this is "antoher international
disgrace" I don't understand. Especially since health information for
travelers is widely available on the Net / other sources. It seems
that personal responsibility is the problme here, and people not
taking responsibility of their own health which is the problem.
However, the article does not elaborate on if the people became ill
while in The Gambia or when coming back to the UK.

So I'd just like some clarification / elaboration of why these
incidents should be laid at the feet of Jammeh?

illnesses / deaths of the travelers.

How can this be blamed in Jammeh?

--
Visit my blog at: http://quickgm28.blogs.com/ginnys_thoughts_and_thing/
Nr{.n+܆+޲b -ᚙ-g {^&shy;ya fkk-gn܆+޳  f: y܆)ᚙ-܆+޲