GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Alieu .K. Jammeh" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 11 Sep 1999 03:43:31 PDT
Brother Madi,

Many thanks for that thought provoking, forward looking and optimistic
outlook on Africa. Every sincere African will cherise the idea to see Africa
uniting. For various reasons, the realities of our world will dictate the
rationale for closer, meaningful and friendly neighborliness. Together we
can be strong. No doubt about that and it is most desired. The quicker we
work towards it, the better. However, the single most fundamental problem is
HOW FEASIBLE IS IT TO UNITE A PEOPLE OF WEAK BASES?

For this, I will refer to some of the points you raised in your article.
Indeed, you seems to have illustrated vividly the fact that the African
people are weak. And in your suggestion, you feel that, only with a
GOVERNMENT OF THE UNITED STATES OF AFRICA, can that turn around things.

For example, you quoted, thus, "...points the Osagyefo Dr. Kwame Nkrumah
raised in the 60's when he pursued the need for unity:

1)  which of our countries can defend itself from an outside attack?

2)  which of our armies can defend Afrika and her people?

3)  which Afrikan currency can compete with any world currency?

4)  which Afrikan gov't can speak for every blackman and woman in   the
world and be fully equipped to defend black people, like how u.s. or europe
defends its citizens worldwide?

5)  how can we stop war and coups and dictatorship in any Afrikan country?

6)  how can we stop tribalism, and the manipulation of our countries and
civil societies by outside forces?"

Further, in your own words I guess, you mentioned, "Today any so-called
terrorist can bomb...and kill our people for free and nothing will come out
of it...."

All these summarises clearly how feeble, unorganized and at times choatic
and anarchic our state institutions were and are now. Your only panacea is
to have a United States of Africa Government, as if having that will
automatically stop coups, stop tribalism, evolve a currency that can compete
favorably with the other world currencies, create an army that can shelter
Africa from hell.

This not being pessimistic, but the simple truth is that I am one of those
who sincerely belief, although recognize the need for an African Unity,
that, it is just not opportune to have it now. Nothing bad calling for it.
It will help to direct our energies and conciousness towards it.

Perhaps, you own arguement will help to buttress my point. For example, you
mentioned, "Why is Europe uniting? How much ready are they than us....They
are uniting now because the world situation today demands that with unity
you will continue to survive...secondly Europe has realised that the power
it had as individual states some time ago no longer holds,"

According to you, two variables : THE CURRENT WORLD SITUATION AND THE
UNUSEFUL INDIVIDUAL POWER OF STATES, explains the reason where Europe is
uniting. That means the basics are already in existence. Strong Individual
State structures, thus, laying the fundations of shaping their environment
which eventually makes it favorably for a union.

All throughout, you seems to agree to the fact that we have a problem, as
you indicated that, "We are the richest continent but the poorest people!
why is that? It is because we do not control our resources and our destiny.
It is only the Gov't of Afrika which will empower us to control our destiny
and our resources for the good of Afrikan people." This is very simplistic
and unsubstantiative.

"Do you have to reach a certain stage to unite?" You asked. Yes, we need to
start somewhere to reach a certain stage, but not jumping to having a
Government of the United State of Africa. Yes, America fought its way for
unity some 200 years ago. Today, can Africa ignore to first develop a sound
civil society, a professional and deciplined army, a responsible and an
accountable government, all at individual state level, to form a union?

Again, you said, "We could not have allowed Sierra Leone and Rwanda and
Congo to go on like that if we were united." These countries would not in
the first place had fallen to savagery if they had incubated for good
governance.

My point is, lets first develop proper, good, and responsible government in
our various countries and get rid of dictatorship; to improve our economies;
to equip our people with progressive education; to promote research and
development, to name but a few, at individual state level before........

Have a nice time and keep it up. That's just our I feel.

Allah blesses us all.

Alieu.