GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jassey Conteh <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jassey Conteh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 May 2004 20:43:36 -0400
Comrades:

Please read the posting below.  It's an excerpt from The Observer.

4 alkalolu sacked
By Pa Malick Faye
May 5, 2004, 14:50

 Email this article
 Printer friendly page

The alkalolu of four villages in Kombo East District, Western Division, have been sacked from their positions effective 26 April 2004, informed sources told Daily Observer.

The sacked alkalolu are from the villages of Taneneh Suma Kunda, Tumani Tenda and Hamdalai.

A letter to that effect from the Office of the Commissioner, Western Division, dated 29 April, addressed to the four village headsmen state: “I write to inform you that the Hon Secretary of State for Local Government and Lands has terminated your services as Alkalo with effect from 26th day of April 2004. Thank you for the services rendered.”

Although the authorities did not give any specific reason for the removal of the four men, many people linked the the change of the alkalolu to the April 15 Kafuta ward by-election which was won by an independent candidate, leading to accusations that these alkalolu orchestrated the defeat of the APRC-sponsored candidate, Alhagie Kujabi.
But one of the dismissed alkalolu who spoke to the Daily Observer denied the speculation. “That cannot be true. We cannot force people to vote for the APRC as we cannot accompany them to the ballot box,” he said.

In a separate development, a member of the Kombo East District Tribunal, Momodou Dakutu Bojang of Kafuta has been sacked. No official reason was publicly given.