GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Baba Galleh Jallow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 12 May 2007 04:11:19 +0000
The end is near for one more African despot as shown by this story from
Guinea Conakry. Despots won't learn the easy way, but they will learn the
very hard way as Lansana Conteh is now doing. This guy has been in power
since 1984; he is so sick with diabetes he can hardly walk. Yet, in Decemebr
2005 (?) he had the constitution amended and himself elected for yet another
seven-year term. We would never advocate for military coups; but what
options does Africa have for changing their leaders when they so greedily
cling on to power, even at the cost of sacrifing entire populations? Down
with all dictatorships.

Baba

Guinea: Government On the Brink As Soldiers Rampage

UN Integrated Regional Information Networks
Conakry

Hundreds of marauding soldiers fired guns in the air in the streets of
Conakry and other towns around the country on Friday, further threatening
the ability of Guinea's beleaguered president Lansana Conte to govern.

Banks, schools, markets and shops all closed at around 11.30am as news
spread that heavily armed soldiers were marching into town, after talks
between senior military officials and soldiers at a military base near the
airport collapsed.

"We want the leaders who stole our wages and betrayed us to step down," one
of the soldiers marching in central Conakry close to the presidential
palace, told IRIN on Friday afternoon.

In the morning IRIN also saw presidential guards, distinguished by their red
berets, in the centre of the city. They were shooting in the air in what
appeared to be an attempt to scare off the mutinous soldiers, but the
presidential guards were outnumbered and eventually fled.

Also in the city centre, witnesses said uniformed soldiers shot at an
unmarked car carrying an army officer, who was then dragged out of his
vehicle.

The army's agenda is unclear and it is currently "very disorganised,"
Elisabeth Cote, who represents the Washington-based election support NGO
IFES in Guinea told IRIN. "It seems likely the army doesn't want [President]
Conte anymore," she said ."[If so] it doesn't take much organising and then
one considers it a coup."

The disgruntled soldiers, who were demanding money and promotions, began
shooting last week inside barracks around the country. The government showed
signs that it would meet some of their demands on Thursday, handing out
salary arrears and raising the rank of every soldiers who had served longer
than four years by one grade.

But the soldier IRIN talked to said that for him and his colleagues to
return to their barracks, President Conte, himself a former army officer and
still head of the armed forces, would have to do more. The soldier listed
the names of all the senior military and ministry of defence officials that
the president would have to fire.

Trade unions had led strikes in January and February which paralysed the
country for several weeks as tens of thousands of demonstrators demanding
President Conte's resignation attacked administrative buildings and clashed
with the army and presidential guard.

The army killed at least 137 people as it enforced martial law for almost
two weeks until Conte compromised with the unions and devolved some of his
powers to a consensus prime minister, former diplomat Lansana Kouyate.

On Friday, civil society groups said they would hold an emergency meeting to
discuss the army mutiny but the president of the civil society organisations
Ben Sekou Sylla had already made it clear to IRIN that he would not support
the soldiers.

"We do not support any movement that destabilizes the current process
towards democracy," he said. "The army is part of civil society but if they
have a problem they should resolved it through dialogue."

The soldiers appeared to have coordinated the latest mutiny in barracks
across the country starting on Thursday night at around 10pm by shooting in
the air in such towns as Faranah, Gu嶰k嶮ou, Labe, Kankan, Kissidougou and
Kindia. Intense shooting continued through most of the night and into the
morning.

In Kindia two civilians were killed by soldiers who had been looting shops
in the main market. One of the dead was a child who had been sitting in
front of his house.

In the centre of Conakry where many civilians work, there were few taxis and
buses on Friday leaving many to walk home. "We hear all this shooting and it
is not our problem," said Fode Soumah a trader walking briskly to try to get
to safety. "But we are all afraid for our lives."

[This report does not necessarily reflect the views of the United Nations]