GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ebrima Ceesay <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 1 Jul 2001 11:17:39 -0000
Haruna Darbo,

Well, my brother:  I thank you for your kind sentiments.  Indeed, I am
overwhelmed by your words of support.  I have to reiterate that all I am
doing is to use my skills as a communicator on behalf of my country, in
order to try and rescue it from the clutches of Jammeh and his rogues.

The whole world is in crisis – not just Africa – and those sons and
daughters who have a talent for clarifying issues and putting them across
simply and effectively to ordinary people in the street, are duty bound to
use these talents for the betterment of the world.

Our world is being destroyed by xenophobism, racism, narrow nationalism,
chauvinism, patriarchialism, narrow mindedness and suspicion.  Therefore,
anything that we can do to break down these traits in the search for
tolerance, mutual respect, integrity, global vision, and shared endeavours,
is of paramount importance.

All enlightened sons and daughters of the world have a duty to preach this
message.

A Ph.D student from Sierra Leone recently came to me, after some of his
fellow citizens were deported from The Gambia, and vented his anger on me.
He said to me, and I quote, "You Gambians are very ungrateful to Sierra
Leoneans !  We used to educate you at Fourah Bay College until you were able
to take charge of your own destiny, and now this is how you are paying us
back !  I am finished with Gambians – want nothing to do with them anymore
!!"

When this guy said this to me, in the presence of another sister from Ghana,
I became scared:  why ?  Because if an educated brother, a political science
research student, cannot take a wider view and distinguish government
actions from those of ordinary people in The Gambia, then the world is
indeed in trouble.  As a result of an action taken by the regime in The
Gambia, he had condemned ALL Gambians in this blanket violent fashion.

I had to spend some time explaining to him the dangers of his
narrow-mindedness and anger; indeed his narrow-nationalist viewpoint.

At the end of the day, myself and the sister from Ghana were able to
convince him and he had the grace to apologise for his angry overreaction
(however understandable this was). However, the likes of this brother
represent a significant body of opinion and viewpoint, worldwide.

Therefore, some of us have really got to continue with the preaching !!  We
do it without expecting compliments in return, but because it HAS to be
done.

Jabou Joh: It would be a good idea for you to send the letter to the State
Department, along with the petition once it has been approved. I know it is
being left in your able hands.

George Sarr: How can you do this to me ??  I am humbled by your benevolence,
but you too deserve an accolade for all your efforts on behalf of Gambians
throughout the world.

Ebrima Ceesay,
Birmingham, UK.