GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jabou Joh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 May 2003 22:36:02 EDT
Funny, but I think this one  is more a case of plain old scatter-brains if
you ask me!
Enjoy.

Age Activated Attention Deficit Disorder.
This is how it manifests itself:

I decided to wash my car.
As I start toward the garage, I spotted the mail on the hall table.  I should
go through the mail before I wash the car.

I lay the car keys on the table, put the junk mail in the trash can under the
table, and notice that the trash can is full.  So, I put the bills back on
the table and take out the trash first.

Since I'm going to be near the mailbox when I take out the trash anyway, I
might as well pay the bills first.  I see my checkbook on the table, but
there is only one check left.  My extra checks are in my desk in the study,
so I go to my  desk, where I find the bottle of juice that I had been
drinking.

I'm going to look for my checks, but first I need to push the juice aside so
that I don't accidentally knock it over.  But the juice is getting warm, and
should be put in the refrigerator to keep it cold.

Heading toward the kitchen with the juice, a vase of flowers on the counter
catches my eye.  They need to be watered.  I set the juice down on the
counter, and find my reading glasses, for which I've been searching all
morning.  I had  better put them back on my desk, but first I'm going to
water the flowers.

I set the glasses back down on the counter, fill a container with water, and
suddenly spot the TV remote.  Someone left it on the kitchen table.Tonight
when we sit down to watch TV, we will be looking for the remote, but nobody
will remember that it's on the kitchen table.  I should put it back in the
den where it belongs, but first I'll water the flowers.

I splash some water on the flowers, but most of it spills on the floor. So, I
put the remote back down on the table, and get some towels to wipe up the
spill.  Then I head down the hall trying to remember what I was planning to
do.

At the end of the day: the car isn't washed, the bills aren't paid, there is
a warm bottle of juice sitting on the counter, the flowers aren't watered,
there is still only one check in my checkbook, I can't find the remote, I
can't find my glasses, and I don't remember what I did with the car keys.

I'm trying to figure out why nothing got done today; it's quite
baffling because I know I was busy all day long, and I'm really tired.  I
know this is a serious problem, and I'll try to get some help for it, but
first I'll check my e-mail.

Do me a favor, will you?  Forward this message to whoever you think might
enjoy it, because I don't remember who I've already sent it to.