GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ginny Quick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 31 May 2008 17:53:57 -0400
Interesting article, and I'm not wanting to get into the dating vs. marriage
debate, from an Islamic point of view, however, a couple of points stand out
for me in this article.  A.  that a blissful marriage is merely and only,
contingent upon the wife's faithfulness and obedience to her husband, and b.
that seemingly, it is haram/forbidden for people to get to know each other
before marriage.  On the second point, surely, there are halal/permissible
means for people seeking marriage to get to know each other, in a halal way,
before embarking upon a marriage.  This article draws no middle ground
between the free-for-all dating, and a stranger marriage, where it seems
that people should not even know each other, before they get married, and if
they do so, if they seek to try to get to know each other, that it is
somehow haram and "just like the Europeans".

Also, it's not only the wife's faithfulness and obedience that makes a happy
marriage, but the husband's attentiveness to his wife.  Interesting how the
article's author points out the haddith about a wife obeying her husband,
yet doesn't mention the hadith about the Prophet (may Allah bless him and
grant him peace) helping his wife with the housework and other chores, as
well as playing and joking with them (as in the case of Aisha).

I understand the article's intent, but the focus on the woman's so-called
"duties" coupled with the mans "rights over his wife", without also giving
equal regard to the wrights of the wife and the husband's duties upon her
gives me great pause!

Along with all the plethara of articles on "the woman's duties", etc., I'd
just like to see just as much attention given to the man's duties as a
Muslim, a husband, a father, etc.

Ginny

いいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいい

いいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいい