GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Mori K. Jammeh" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 May 2000 18:45:48 -0500
Culled from The Point Newspaper 05/03/00

 The leading opposition party in the Gambia, the United Democratic Party,
UDP last week presented a strongly worded letter to the UN Secretary General
Kofi Annan during his one-day working visit to this country.

The letter signed by the leader and Secretary General Lawyer Ousainou Darboe
complained amongst many things ''the conspicuous silence of the world body
on events in the Gambia '' despite international condemnation.''

The UDP letter said that in the recent past ''we noted with regret the
position of the UN in the Gambia Vis-a-vis Human rights and other excesses
that have been the hallmark of the former AFPRC military junta and its
present civilian offspring the APRC regime.

'' The Gambia is presently going through a crisis internally and
internationally and it is often that we see a country embroiled in conflict
just because they are abandoned to their own fate by the international
community, who ignored the looming crisis from the beginning'', the letter
said.

Full text of the UDP letter reads:

H.E. Mr. Kofi Annan

UN Secretary-General

UN Headquarters

New York

Your Excellency,

I have the greatest honour and pleasure to welcome you to the Gambia on
behalf of the United Democratic Party and indeed on behalf of the entire
Gambian people. Regrettably your official progrmme has not provided for a
meeting with the leaders of opposition parties in the country. Nevertheless
your visit albeit short, is a special occasion and inspiration to us all.
Your visit to our country is important, in that the Secretary General is one
of the most illustrious sons of Africa from our own West African Sub-Region.

The whole world is a witness to the glaring successes you have accomplished
since you assumed the high office of Secretary General of the United Nations
and we convinced that the rest of your term will be crowned with further
achievements. Africa has had a lot of success stories to tell in its pursuit
for good governance and your personal contribution in this endeavour speaks
for itself. Under your able leadership, conflicts have been averted in the
Middle East, the Balkans and the Great Lakes Area.

In the last six years, this country has gone through some incredible,
nightmarish experiences that have affected every citizen the reality of
which is still dawning on the average Gambian.

In the grueling journey of incertitude and utter despondency that we have
embarked upon since the military coup of 1994, we have experienced all sorts
of vicissitudes-oppression of political opponents, human rights violations,
devastation of our once fine civil service flawed elections, harassment of
the private press- the list is legion.

History has shown us that it is this insensitive, constant and systematic
harassment of political opponents that sow the seeds of discord and
generate, and degenerates into, conflict and turmoil.

We cannot lose sight of the bitter examples in Africa particularly in the
Great Lakes Region. This is the more reason why we look up to the United
Nations Organisations for leadership and guidance.

In the recent past, we noted with great regret that the position of UN in
Gambia vis a vis Human Rights abuses and other excesses that have been the
hallmark of the former AFPRC military junta and its present civilian
offspring the APRC regime, has been less than forthright. Despite open
condemnation by other international bodies and the opposition, the UN has
been conspicuously silent. It is our sincere hope therefore, that the UN
would play a more proactive role in the promotion of democracy and good
governance in The Gambia.

We would have like to see The Gambia resume its rightful place in the
community of democratic nations, but this can only happen if the genuine
will for democratic change is present. It is clear that the last elections,
especially the Presidential, in this country have been exceptionally flawed
and were not free and fair. A smooth democratic election would necessitate
equitable arrangements acceptable to all stakeholders. To this effect, we
election process to cover arrangements made by the Independent Electoral
Commission from voter registration to counting of votes and declaration of
results.

The win of democracy is blowing across Africa particularly our Sub Region
and cannot bypass The Gambia whose people are crying out for good governance
and all it entails. The Gambia should not be and cannot be left out of this
process. With the installation of mechanisms that will facilitate free and
fair elections, we are convinced The Gambia will not miss the train of
democratic change. The United Nations, more than any other international
body has a people expect this. The Gambia is presently going through a
crisis internally and internationally and it is often that we see a country
embroiled in conflict just because they are abandoned to their own fate by
the international community who ignore the looming crisis from the
beginning.

In a few months the Local Government Elections will take place and we want
to make sure that all the sacrifices that the Gambian people have made do
not dissipate like a mirage because of irregularities in the election
process.

These are some preoccupations, in a large part dealing with the electoral
process, which we have taken the occasion of your visit to bring to your
kind attention. They are by no means exhaustive immediate solution for the
sake of stability and well being of the country. We have no doubt that they
will be given due consideration by your goodself.

We would have wished to fete you in the tradition of "taranga" (hospitality)
that this country is renown for and make your visit a more auspicious one.
However we have just ended seven days of mourning occasioned by members of
the security forces shooting at innocent unarmed and defenceless school
children killing at least twelve of them who were exercising their
constitutional and civic rights to demonstrate. We appreciate, of course,
that as UN Secretary General and as a parent yourself, these kids are also
yours and naturally you share in our grief and devastation.

We pray that the Almighty grant you good health, strength and wisdom to
complete your noble assignment satisfactorily.

Please accept Mr. Secretary General the assurances of my highest
consideration and personal esteem.

Yours faithfully,
Ousainou Darboe
(SECRETARY-GENERAL AND PARTY LEADER)