GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Pasamba Jow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Sep 2000 22:02:45 GMT
Here is an article I culled from the BBC.  I think that it is important to
share it with the L.

UK tobacco firm targets African youth

Cigarette firms are accused of dubious marketing tactics

by the BBC's health correspondent, James Westhead
A BBC investigation has found that a British tobacco company is actively
targeting young people and teenagers in Africa.

Cigarettes are being handed out free at youth events specially organised by
tobacco firms during school holidays.

The companies insist they only give the samples to adult smokers, but
there's evidence their own rules are not being followed.

The investigation is a further blow to an industry already dogged by
accusations of dirty tricks and dubious marketing techniques, particularly
in developing countries.

The World Health Organisation is backing a radical international tobacco
control treaty, which would include a global advertising ban.

However, at a beach volleyball tournament in the Gambia, the organisers told
us it was laid on for young people during the school holidays.

Here in one of Africa's poorest countries though there was another more
sinister purpose; promoting cigarettes.

Yellow Benson and Hedges banners were everywhere and so were young women in
B&H t-shirts handing out free cigarettes in the crowd.

Tobacco companies say they don't give samples to under-eighteens. But as the
women helped youngsters light up many appeared under age and no-one checks
their ages or even asks.

One of the cigarette reps told us the age limit was only fifteen before
quickly correcting herself.

She told us, "We only give free cigarettes to big boys."

'Encouraging people'

Officially free samples encourage adult smokers to try new brands - but some
youngsters felt the real aim was rather different.

One eighteen year old told us, "It is definitely encouraging people to
smoke. Coming to the beach and handing out free cigarettes - that is
encouraging people to smoke."

The slick operation is run from London by British American Tobacco who
produce the main cigarette brands in the Gambia, Piccadilly and Benson and
Hedges.

They declined an interview about their marketing practices. However we
tracked down their sole agent, the Gambias biggest cigarette importer,
George Madi, to a seedy office in the capital, Banjul.

There, laughing, he explained that when it came to promoting cigarettes BAT
had only one rule, "To sell more cigarettes, to promote more cigarettes. Is
that the only rule? Yes ."

Ban lifted > The Gambia, a muslim country, used to be one of the few places
where cigarette advertising was banned.

After a military coup the ban was lifted three years ago and now tobacco
sponsorship is everywhere.

The result has been a doubling of cigarette sales almost overnight. The
World Health Organisation believes it has also led to an increase in smoking
among children.

A recent survey it conducted across Africa found one in five under fifteen
year olds now smoke.

The WHO representative in the Gambia Dr James Mwanzia was shocked by our
evidence of direct marketing at youth events.

"It is the height of hypocrisy because, how do you sponsor a health event
like a volley ball match and then give out cigarettes. This is the kind of
thing we are very worried about", he said.

It's not just volleyball. Tobacco money is everywhere. Football tournaments,
music concerts, even parties are sponsored by cigarette companies as a way
of gathering young people together.

We filmed at a community radio station in the tiny village of Brikama which
depends entirely on cigarette sponsorship.

British American Tobacco pays the equivalent of twenty pounds to sponsor an
entire radio programme and supplys the prizes, cigarette ashtrays.

The DJ, General T, says he doesn't like it but has no choice.

"I am promoting a cigarette company. But I would not be a cigarette
advertiser if we could get some other finance. We do not want to promote
cigarettes but we have no funds", he explained.

The financial divide is sharpest on the soccer pitch. Youth teams in the
Gambia can't even afford footballs.

So tobacco companies are ready and willing to help and of course hand out
free cigarettes at soccer games.

The regional footbal league organiser Ansumana Dibba says "We don't have the
resources to buy football equipment, balls and jerseys. When you're faced
with financial constraints then you're at the mercy of the tobacco
companies."

Following our investigation BAT say they're re-briefing their teams in the
Gambia as a precautionary measure to ensure their staff don't hand out free
cigarettes to children under eighteeen.

They insist their own rules haven't been broken, but there's no sign of an
end to marketing techniques that clearly target young people in the third
world.
   Search BBC News Online

BBC ONE TV NEWS

WORLD NEWS SUMMARY

PROGRAMMES GUIDE

BBC NEWS 24 BULLETIN

See also:

02 Aug 00 | Health
Big tobacco accused of dirty tricks
02 Aug 00 | Health
A global smoking battle
03 Aug 00 | Health
Tobacco giants deny smear tactics
05 Aug 00 | Health
Tobacco industry under fresh pressure
Internet links:

World Health Organisation
ASH
British American Tobacco

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Other top UK stories:

Siamese twins to be separated
Kray's first taste of freedom
History beckons for Redgrave
Internet bank fraud: Five charged
Euro rescue mission wins support
Car-free day fails to get support
Blow to NI peace deal
MI6 attack weapon identified

Links to top UK stories are at the foot of the page.