GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ebrima Ceesay <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 6 May 2000 08:09:49 -0700
Gambia-L:

My source is hot once again (laugh). By the way, there
is a part in my source's e-mail, reproduced below,
which mentioned Tombong and I almost edited/deleted
it. But I have decided to leave it like that, because
I trust my source.

However, journalistically, Tombong can also react to
it if he wishes.

My source also refers to Yaya Jammeh as "President
Jammeh" in his piece, and I also left it like that.

But I personally would have referred to Yaya Jammeh as
"Mr Jammeh", and not "President Jammeh". In all my
writings, I call him "Mr. Jammeh", and not "President
Jammeh", because he is not fit to be my leader.

Ebrima Ceesay

Ebrima,

Mr. Bolong Sonko has succumbed to pressures exerted on
him by members of his family and friends.
Consequently, he has declined the offer to be
Commissioner of Western Division.

Even your friend, Tombong Saidy's job is now on the
line. He will be joining you soon either in the UK or
Washington DC. Please make room for him and do not
torment him.

By the way, would you have thought that Lamin Bajo,
given his close ties with the President Jammeh, would
be kicked out of office overnight? Funnily, they
waited until the president was in Gabon before
announcing the dismissal on air.

Ebrima, these are interesting times in the country. By
the way, even the U.N which took a lukewarm posture
towards the Gambia, is now being critical of President
Jammeh.

So, the pressure on them should be maintained. In
fact, there is a U.N report mentioning the Gambia
which I will try and send to you by attachment. I am
sure you'll find it interesting.

The Commonwealth's CMAG, in its meeting the other day,
also expressed reservation about the Gambia.
Meanwhile, tension is still raging among the serious
forces in the country, in the wake of the events of 10
April.

They are still pushing the blame onto each other in
terms of who actually did the shooting. The army said
they did not use live bullets, while the paramilitary
forces countered by saying that they too did not use
live bullets on the kids. The police have also denied
using live rounds on the kids.

So, you can now imagine for yourself the hostility
among the various forces in the country. This is why,
Ebrima, we have to keep on praying for peace in a our
little country. By the way, I tried calling your
mobile phone earlier, but I couldn't go through.

The struggle continues.