GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Yusupha C Jow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Jul 2001 11:36:49 EDT
Baboucarr:

For the past couple of weeks I have been trying to intimate the remarkable
run of Les Lions to the members of the L, but I think most were either too
busy or just not aware of the latest soccer news.

Regardless, this is a rejuvenated Senegalese team which is probably among the
top three in Africa with Cameroon and S. Africa.  I was lucky enough to watch
the last Les Lions in action during the last African Nations cup, and I must
tell you that this is not the same team.  The last team, coached by Peter
Shnittinger, a well traveled, veteran German physio,  played a more rabid in
your face style of soccer: a bit reminiscent of our cousins'  big man,
"Grande mbouba" toting, and loud mouth antics.  Weird analogy but this is the
best I could come up with it to describe this frenetic style of play by Les
Lions.

But those of you who have been watching the game for a while will probably
agree with me ; grandeur and overkill is a big part of Senegalese culture in
particular and these attributes tend to seep into their style of football.
One incident in particular stands out; in a match between Senegal and Guinea
during the Zone 2 tourney at the Independence stadium in 1986, a Guinean
attacker ventured into the opposing defense where he ran into the roadblock
created by the great Jahou Gaye and Roger Mendy.  Roger, in true Grande
fashion, tapped the ball over his head once, and instead of moving forward,
he did it again to the poor Guinean chap.  Needless, to say, as a young
impressionable man in the stands, I was amazed by the amazing audacity and
skill displayed by the great libero.  This is "Grande" style soccer.  It is a
style typified by a never die attitude but also one characterized by extreme
showmanship.

As much entertaining as the "Grande" style is, it was not going to get them
to the highest stage.  Shnittinger let them play this style but, like a
blessing in disguise, the German was replaced by a Frenchman called Bruno
Metsau after the Nations Cup.  Metsau did something amazing.  He went to
France and somehow convinced many French boys with ties to Senegal to
represent their roots.  Most of them agreed.  Therefore, out went the
"Grande" style of play and in came the Franco-Senegalese boys.  In came El
Hadjj Ousainou Diouf (Rennes), Ferdinand Colley (Lens),  Malick Ndiaye (St
Etienne), Aliou Cisse (PSG) Saliou Diao (Monaco)etc etc.  The only remnants
of the old guard are Omar Daff at left back, Khaliliou Fadiga at left
midfield or attack and the goalie.

The impact of the Franco-Senegalese is the reason for this success.  I pray
for Les Lions tomorrow. I would rather see a true sub-Saharan African team in
the big dance any day instead of some N. African side which would rather
represent the Arab World. Will Arab solidarity be the order of the day?  No!
I predict that Senegal will penetrate the Namibian defense multiple times
tomorrow.  Out of those multiple penetrations, five goals shall result.

Allez Les Lions